Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I like using blood knots but I am one of those who wastes 10 minutes floundering trying the get the tag ends back through the hole. Hopefully I can cut that down to 9.5 minutes now since I am still all thumbs.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Very cool! Whomp, blood knot still has its place. If you are tying very long pieces of line together, a surgeon will not work. However, surgeon is great for tippet to leader. But, make it a triple!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Very cool! Whomp, blood knot still has its place. If you are tying very long pieces of line together, a surgeon will not work. However, surgeon is great for tippet to leader. But, make it a triple!
Ya that's what I use it for-tippet to leader. Might as well make it a tripl, it's easy enough to tie.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
I used to tie a blood knot but someone taught me the double surgeons knot and I forgot all about the blood.
Learn the triple surgeons and you will forget the double! :smile:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Learn the triple surgeons and you will forget the double! :smile:
I've actually tied a triple before. But, never had any issues with the double and I know plenty of other people who use it as well. I doubt another wrap would make that much of a difference but again, it's so easy you might as well.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I got lazy and went down to a double and had one fail,the only time a surgeon knot failed me. It might have been a bad knot. But since then always do a triples on tippet.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Saw that video the other week. I really sucked at blood knots, especially in the cold. I'll be carrying some toothpicks with me now...

I've always just used the triple surgeon's for the most part, but the Blood knot definitely has its place. If you get tangled mid-leader and have to cut a section out and don't want to cut up your whole rig, that's what it's for - tying two pieces that are already rigged up where you can't use the triple surgeon's.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
I've actually tied a triple before. But, never had any issues with the double and I know plenty of other people who use it as well. I doubt another wrap would make that much of a difference but again, it's so easy you might as well.
It took me 2 fails to change...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Building leaders?! People still really do that!? Who the heck wants a hand tied leader with a bunch of knots.
This guy. Good to know when you're on the river trying to milk every inch of your leader and you don't have an extra leader in your bag.

I still use a double surgeons knot and have for over 5 years! Caught 15# carp on that knot, I agree that an extra loop is not worth the extra bulk you get from a triple.

I think I will try this blood knot with bigger tippets.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This guy. Good to know when you're on the river trying to milk every inch of your leader and you don't have an extra leader in your bag.

I still use a double surgeons knot and have for over 5 years! Caught 15# carp on that knot, I agree that an extra loop is not worth the extra bulk you get from a triple.

I think I will try this blood knot with bigger tippets.
Ever try tippet rings?

Considering you can pickup a good knotless tapered leader online for less than a dollar and attach a tippet ring to tie on tippet, I'm not seeing the need to tie up leaders stream side unless you enjoy it.

I only used a single leader (w/tippet ring) per setup for all of last year. Tossed them this year, not because they were unusable, but just because I wanted a little more line visibility.

My $0.02 anyway.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Building leaders?! People still really do that!? Who the heck wants a hand tied leader with a bunch of knots.
LOL.

I do. I've tried braided, furled (yuk) and of course the good old store bought tapered leaders by Orvis, SI, RIO ect.

I can't argue with tippet rings ( who even needs a surgeons knot then), a great idea, but a hand tied with various colors on the progressive leader sizes works for me as an indicator, plus a hand tied casts and turns over way better than a store bought IMHO.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts