Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Building leaders?! People still really do that!? Who the heck wants a hand tied leader with a bunch of knots.
This guy. Good to know when you're on the river trying to milk every inch of your leader and you don't have an extra leader in your bag.

I still use a double surgeons knot and have for over 5 years! Caught 15# carp on that knot, I agree that an extra loop is not worth the extra bulk you get from a triple.

I think I will try this blood knot with bigger tippets.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
For carp, no.
My point exactly. A well rounded fly fishermen should know how to build leader for the given species he/she is targeting i.e. streamer rig vs a nymph rig. Building a leader doesn't take that long. I'm going to put this blood knot to use this weekend. My 3wt needs a rebuild. Thanks for sharing chewydog.

I think tippet rings are a gimmick however haven't tried them yet. I see their purpose nymphing, even light as advertised, not for dry fly fishing. My focus is on changing weight and depth over worrying about how many times I'm going to be re-rigging.

· Registered
1,561 Posts
Thanks for the support Danny!

So I do know how to build a leader, but I don't do it practice 95% of the time because I find it less time+cost effective in most scenarios...
Please explain because that doesn't make much sense.

All I need to do now is fish for some carp and I'll be a "well rounded" fly fisherman??
Precisely and bass, pan fish, wiper etc...I believe my initial question to you was accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.