Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
This guy. Good to know when you're on the river trying to milk every inch of your leader and you don't have an extra leader in your bag.

I still use a double surgeons knot and have for over 5 years! Caught 15# carp on that knot, I agree that an extra loop is not worth the extra bulk you get from a triple.

I think I will try this blood knot with bigger tippets.
Ever try tippet rings?

Considering you can pickup a good knotless tapered leader online for less than a dollar and attach a tippet ring to tie on tippet, I'm not seeing the need to tie up leaders stream side unless you enjoy it.

I only used a single leader (w/tippet ring) per setup for all of last year. Tossed them this year, not because they were unusable, but just because I wanted a little more line visibility.

My $0.02 anyway.

· Registered
358 Posts
Blood knot away guys, seriously!

My point exactly. A well rounded fly fishermen should know how to build leader for the given species he/she is targeting
So I do know how to build a leader, but I don't do it practice 95% of the time because I find it less time+cost effective in most scenarios...

All I need to do now is fish for some carp and I'll be a "well rounded" fly fisherman??

· Registered
358 Posts
Others feel free to join in; don't be shy... Amusing for sure!

Please explain because that doesn't make much sense.
You're right. I failed to mention that I specifically target trout and that 90% of the time I'm fishing wet (whether a few inches or a few feet deep). For these conditions I find the setup I mentioned with the tippet ring a better choice for me.

I found that maintaining all the various lines necessary to hand tie leaders was more costly than a few tapered leaders + tippet ring + tippet. Time considerations are obviously subjective to the individual.

Finally, when using long hand tied leaders I find the knots introduce greater possibility for the line getting caught on rod eyes when landing fish; resulting in lost fish or potentially broken rod tips.

Maybe after I catch more carp, bass, etc. I'll find that a hand tied leader works best for me. When/if this day comes I'll gladly accept this knowing it makes the most sense for my fishing style and conditions. On the same hand, I will never let my fishing ego deter me from trying new techniques/technologies that when added to my toolbox allow me to be more productive on the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.