Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so me and my 2 friends are heading up to Gunnison for a fishing and camping trip. We are going to be seniors in high school and are really thinking about attending Western State University. Blue mesa is a big selling point for us because we have a huge passion for fishing. My main problem at the moment is where we want to set up camp. I want to camp lakeside so that we can fish from shore. We are bringing a row boat as well just so we can get on the water. We have never fished there, so we would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Don't get too hung up on blue Mesa. There is amazing fishing all over the state. I know people that fish the same ole spots over and over and they miss out on a lot. Also, I don't think you should base where you want to go to school on where you plan on fishing. Choosing what college you go to is a big deal and your futures and careers should take precedence over where you wanna fish when considering schooling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't get too hung up on blue Mesa. There is amazing fishing all over the state. I know people that fish the same ole spots over and over and they miss out on a lot. Also, I don't think you should base where you want to go to school on where you plan on fishing. Choosing what college you go to is a big deal and your futures and careers should take precedence over where you wanna fish when considering schooling.
Blue Mesa is not the only reason why we want to attend Western. We all love small towns and small colleges. Western also has the majors that all three of us want to go into. Plus, the average class size being only 17 is pretty nice!!! Thank you for the advice though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stevens creek is a good place to start. Lots of good shore fishing right there and if the winds are down it is easy to get a small boat in. I would personally go to Red Creek and camp along the creek off the lake. There is some good fishing for brookies in the beaver dams about 3-5 miles up the road.

I also think that Western is a good school.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I also think that Western is a good school.[/QUOTE]

yeh, if you like to hunt, fish, ski, backpack and party. Go Western !!!!!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You will learn more about the school by staying in Gunnison then camping by the lake.
Many of the the alumni work in Gunnision serving food to the tourists.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If I was starting over today, I would choose a school like Western or Fort Lewis for my first two years of school, then transfer out and get my degree somewhere else.

Wether it is college, or not, there is more to school than just the book education.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
You will learn more about the school by staying in Gunnison then camping by the lake.
Many of the the alumni work in Gunnision serving food to the tourists.
Alumini from most colleges are serving food or working at enterprise rent a car. :smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are tons of campgrounds all around the lake. I dont think you will have any problem finding a place. The earlier camping advice locations is probably good. Curicanti NRA might be another camping option. Relating to school...My neighbor went there and is a successful business owner...his son just graduated with an engineering degree a couple years ago and is doing very well. Ive got an OU graduate degree but I would have absolutely loved going there for all the outdoor adventures...I will be down there twice in September hunting elk. You should pick up archery. Good luck on all accounts...get a marketable degree on time with the least loans, enjoy the outdoors, and don't do things that put any of that in jeapordy. But I can tell you guys are taking it all serious so you do not need that advice. Many successes to you. Have fun on your school scouting trip...and please be safe on the water.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Blue Mesa is not the only reason why we want to attend Western. We all love small towns and small colleges. Western also has the majors that all three of us want to go into. Plus, the average class size being only 17 is pretty nice!!! Thank you for the advice though!
Gotcha. Just wanted to touch on a couple other thing a to consider. I heard this dad talking on the radio about how his son was choosing which college to go to based only in his friends who would be attending but it sounds like you've put more thought into it than that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts