Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one fished this area.I guess its a canyon and basically need to float it.They call it "Jurassic Park" cause there are HOGGGS in there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I fished it quite some time ago, we had to float it mainly because its private, heard that the land owner is not very friendly and we were advised to anchor up instead of shore fishing, it could be different now though. Fishing was insane- alot like the green river below the flaming gorge. Probably 15 years ago, so I'm probably not the best source for info- would definitely do it again though.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the white water real bad?

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think a 4-man raft would work?I want to hit it when the water is real low,like this november maybe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just called a buddy who guides up there. The river in that section is flowing at 500 cfs, pretty low. Below the dam is the only public put in, its kinda steep to launch a boat. At 500 cfs, the guy rowing is going to be busy- lot of rocks, my buddy says that 6-700 cfs is the easiest for fishing- class 3 is the worst rapid. he confirmed that most is private. I used to guide white water in salida, and the impression I got was be careful, the biggest thing is to get out as soon as you hit the colorado- because it drops right into gore canyon- the most technical whitewater in the state. , I think I would hit it at a little higher level. So, good luck!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Slayer - I am familiar with that stretch of water, but as mentioned before you must do your homework before even attemting to float it. Below the dam there is about a 1.5 mile stretch of river you can wade fish and can be quite good, lots of big browns. Several issues concerning floating this section: Below the public access you enter into Blue Valley Ranch, which is something like 48,000 acres, so most of this stretch is private, very private. The owner hires off duty police officers to monitor the river for tresspassers. The owner has made improvements to his stretch of river ( 5 or 6 miles of river I'm guessing), but those improvements consist of 12 or so drop structures which are mainly for diverting irrigation water to his pastures, but also to discourage any boats. Therefore, in order to get over these drop structures (some of them 5 to 6 feet high) you must know the appropriate flows that will allow you to get over them. The white water in the canyon is pretty good, but that is the least of your worries. You definitely need to be an experienced oarsman. I would not float it without someone who has done it before and can show you the way. Then you have to figure out where to put in and take out. You can put in below the dam, but it requires you to haul your boat and gear a couple hundred feet to the river, same with the take out. The entire float is probably 15 miles or more so it is a long day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've fished it below Grand lake, last time I was there I caught a few bows, but its pretty technical fishing, not many fish but quality fish.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That section is a good one but word to the wise, there are many structures and without the right water level *best 800-1200 (1,200 being highest of the year) so 1) must be a good oarsman, 2) you can not set foot out of your boat due to trespassing and 3) it's a long haul putting in and floating....Not worth it to me!

Trout Dawg
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cotrout/

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx for the info guys!Sounds like way over my head!I may try the wadeable area right below the dam though. My river running skills consist of plopping my ass in an innertube and floating....

·
Banned
26 Posts
I've fished it and had problems with the guy telling us we can't float. But we simply showed him the law that says a navigable stream can be floated and to basically go jump in the river.
Another reason why we need to have all navigable streams public below the high water mark.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
those navigable river things get dicey i read that last year a land owner tried to hold some boater at gunpoint he ended up getting busted but that would be ugly

speaking of navigable waters is the taylor river "navigable" and can you put in just below the dam and fish those several miles of private? the river looks like it has enough water to float but there looked to be an obstruction to keep the boaters away?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Slayer there is also a trout ranch on the river. Bob who use to own All-Pro told me he guided there and the fishing was insane. they had feeders set up over the river to feed the trout. I've heard its public where it dumps into the colorado and some big fish come up the blue at spawn times.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blackjack said:
  I've heard its public where it dumps into the colorado and some big fish come up the blue at spawn times.
Now thats a thought! Cool..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Roadkill, no the taylor is way to fast, rocky and narrow to float, kayakers might enjoy it. Colorado law says that any navicable river is public- the water ONLY, the moment your boat touches the bank, or your feet touch the bottom- you are tresspassing. When I first started guiding, we stopped on a sand bar for lunch on the ark, we were welcomed with a shotgun, and then diligently informed of the law and how we were tresspassing. I think most landowners were probably cool about it until they had to start picking up the bad apples trash.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hellfish said:
Roadkill, no the taylor is way to fast, rocky and narrow to float, kayakers might enjoy it. Colorado law says that any navicable river is public- the water ONLY, the moment your boat touches the bank, or your feet touch the bottom- you are tresspassing. When I first started guiding, we stopped on a sand bar for lunch on the ark, we were welcomed with a shotgun, and then diligently informed of the law and how we were tresspassing. I think most landowners were probably cool about it until they had to start picking up the bad apples trash.
ok but what is colorados definition of navigable. most of those laws came from old maritime laws and originaly were ment for the 2 way transport of goods. although many states have adopted more broad definitions of navigable

also from your discription it sounds like anchoring would be prohibited also?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess if you can get down it without trespassing its considered navicable. I don't know about anchoring- good question, I always have, but I may be in the wrong.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so as long as i can float it with out scaping bottom or haveing to get out and do something it should be legal

also do you know where i could get more info on this like web links or offices to call?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Anchoring in private property is definitely tresspassing and I guess is a premeditated action. The bank and river bottom are considered property of the land owner, but not the water that flows over it. Technically if you bump a rock, touch your oar to the bank, or anchor you are tresspassing. I think it would take a photo to prove on the part of the landowner in a court of law. The main problem lies with careless anglers who do not know the public/ private access and end up walking into private property or pulling their boat over on private property to fish. I'm sure this happens more than we think. I have never heard of someone getting busted for tresspassing simply by bumping a rock or touching shore briefly.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
anyone got a link to the "letter of the law"?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts