Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well got down there about 9:30 and walked to the north pond just about ringed with cattails not much open shore that i saw in the dark. droped my gear and crusied around for an hour or so saw lots of small baitfish, craws, and tadpoles in the north pond and some frogs of all sizes over at the south pond didnt see tha baitfish but did see some craws and a few tadpoles not much growing along the shore here although i did see some submerged stuff (i heard from the blm that they were pumping lots of water in the south pond and that it was as full as it had ever been) back at the north pond i started to fish round 10:45 tossed out a nightcrawler under a lighted slipfloat set about 6'let it soak as i tied up a slip sinker with a hook and tossed it out with a night crawler i had 4# on the bober and 2# on the slip sinker rig and was just kicking it watching some "homebrew" fireworks over penrose.after about 15 min my bober had found its way in towards the cattails so i brought it in and as i was prepareing to rebait and toss it back i got hit on the slip rig. before i could set the rod down it had my 2# rod bent double and was pulling the rod holder out of the soft ground drag screaming along. i droped the other rod and snatch up the hooked up rod and was wondering if i was gone be able to hold it. it made 5-6 differnt runs before i could get close enough to see then a couple more good runs before i got it to the beach it was a nice fat carp i sliped a finger undre the gill cover and lifed it out it felt heavyer than a 5lb chub of hamberger and i made a mark on my lawn chair and later measured about 23 inches i couldent see the hook so i just poped the line and sent it back to fight another day. im pretty confident this fish was well over double the line test and that is a first for me. i then reriged both pole for the bottom and fished a night crawler on 1 and a gulp crawler(jar) on the other no more bites, around midnight mid night brought them in and they both had definetly been chewed on probably craws i decided to head over to the south pond for a bit. found a nice spot with no weeds and pitched out both on the bottom w/slip rigs 1 w/crawler 1 w/gulp crawler(jar). started getting little hit every ten min or so and actualy caught 2 smaller cats (chanels) 1 was about 10-12 inches and we wont talk about the other i let them both go to grow there must be a bunch of little guys in there with all the hits i got. packed up about 2 in the morning and headed for the hills. i think these pond have some good potential lots of craws in the south pond and some tadpoles and the north pond has lots of small minows along with the craws and tadpoles so if there are some preditory fish in there they should be well fed.

heres to hopeing BLUE HERON becomes an SWA

ps there was a distinct lack of trash there was some but for how close to town and the road it was nice, i picked up a few styrofoam bait containers and a ziplock bag no dirty shorts so i guess you know who hasnt found this place

pitch in pick up and make the world a better place

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
nice report! Sounds like a place where pike would thrive and be good regulaters but I doubt they'll be put in.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hope they dont put pike in there maybe some muskie but they wouldnt be able to support many the ponds are very small like around 10 or so acres each maybe a little more and the small bait fish i saw were under 1.25 inches im thinking lots of craws would be good for some smallmouths and them little bait fish would feed some nice crappie

im gonna try and get down there in the day time with my cast net or siene and see what other bait fish are in there funny thing is i didnt see any gills or any preditory fish crusing the shalows this time of year at places like brush hollow or runyon if you cruise the shallows at night you see tons of gills and small bass but not as much bait so im thinking that there arnt that many predators

1 - 3 of 3 Posts