Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are headed to Blue Lake / Adobe Creek Res. Friday for the weekend. We will be leaving from Fountain. What is the best way in to the lake? I thought I read something about coming from the north being a bit better. For now we are looking to go on 50 through Las Animas. We will be towing a boat and have a slide in camper, so the smoother the better.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
i think highway 94 goes through ordway, and you can catch that and take it 50 miles east to sugar city, along all those abandoned rail cars. it's kind of creepy because alot of those towns are kind of abandoned... but i know that highway runs right by the lake.

BTW, id take 50 to las animas and john martin north 20 miles on the county road anyways, if youre even considering fishing.... keep in mind we are going to have shitty weather friday going into the evening, and given how march is in CO.. you might be driving in rain, or it might snow a foot out there... and i know as a trucker, they don't plow those rural roads much if it snows.... and you'll be fishing post frontal. just some food for thought, dude.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think I'll stick with 50 then. As for the weather I hope it doesn't get too sloppy out there. The pressure will be on the up swing but hopefully some fish cooperate. We will have a good time no matter what

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Looks like the weather is supposed to stay more north according to the 9 news weather dart board...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Thanks, I think I'll stick with 50 then. As for the weather I hope it doesn't get too sloppy out there. The pressure will be on the up swing but hopefully some fish cooperate. We will have a good time no matter what
That's all that matters. If it sucks too bad, hit up John Martin spillway and bag a walleye!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
We used to take our camper there in April for Crappie and camp at the lake.
Haven't been there for years but used to produce well.
The problem with warm water fisheries is weather fronts can shut them down
15 miles north of Las animas on rd 10.
Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help! one more day of class and I'm gone. We are going to try a bit of night fishing for cats as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
It's one lake I'm gonna start fishing a few times this season for sure. It'll be a great place to take the kid camping.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I came in after dark one time, spent the whole weekend there, fishing was good but I was screwed up the whole time, eyes watering, sneezing, etc. (I have severe hay fever) when we left the lake I noticed upwind they were baling up Alfalfa.:eek:

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
I'd roll north to highway 94 by way of Marksheffell and then head east on 94 til you get to 71. take that south til you get to Ordway, turn back east just as you cross over the railroad tracks. take that to the lake...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will the wind just stop. It's been a great trip so far having a weekend away from the house camping and fishing. We did manage a small catfish from the boat ramp area, so far. CR 10 was in great shape, but then again it's my first time driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
It is supposwd to overnight for there...I was just looking...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts