Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished big blue on jan 8th 2006 around the dry creek area.
We "started" around 6:30 AM. Our auger was screwed up, and we had to put it together. Took 30 min to do that. Then, it took it 10 min to start and drill a hole (messed up). Had to stop using it. After 40 min and finally in the water, I got a small mac 17" fairly quickly jigging near the bottom on a 3.5" white tube tipped with anchovie. Too bad we missed prime time I bet they were biting really well. We couldn't move much either (cuz we had the hand auger with 24" of ice, you do the thinking on what happened there). Kokes were coming through at 21-28 ft off of a point and I miraculously got my first kokanee a 13" on a 3.5" white tube tipped with anchovie. I missed a few more. lakers were biting in 40-60 FOW.
We moved later as we got pushed out of the spot (anglers too close on both sides), and fished off of a bluff. I lost a nice laker prob 4-5 pounds and then caught a 17" bow. Iceintheveins lost a laker and next drop got him. 18". Next drop iceintheveins caught a 19" or so brown. Later, I got two more macs right at 17" each. same lure. Iceintheveins got another 18" mac later. That was it. Sadly, we couldn't move as much as we like to and couldn't drill very many holes so we didn't have quite the success we should've. Most people on the lake were having problems, not catching hardly anything. One group of guys got 8 lakers 7 of them around 10-11" and another at 17". They also got a skinny brown and a skinny bow. That was about all that was landed by anyone all day. Very slow day.
Final totals: me 3 lakers 1 koke 1 bow
iceintheveins 2 lakers 1 brown

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
good job , i was just curoius did the kokes stay around or were they moving alot, there is some huge macks in that lake, i think im going to go troll that lake in the summer for kokes, did u get any pics ?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the kokes were moving fast. I remember one time, in the morning before I caught my koke 1 red mark came in at 24 feet. Then all the sudden for about 3 or 4 seconds my sonar was filled from 21-30 feet with nothing but red. Basically, they moved around really fast. If I would've been targeting them it wouldn't have been too hard to limit out. Wish I would've been now that I look back at it. My dad was talking to a guy with a lowrance and he said at one time about 40-50 kokes came through at once. They moved through fast though. I had a purist out at 24 feet once near my hole and it got hammered but I didn't get over there in time :(

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
nice, id like to make it there but the drive is so far , how thick is the ice and conditon of the ice ? , i forgot to ask you how deep you were fishing ?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I was (dry creek cove) it was between 20 and 28" thick and very solid until about 5" above the water, then it was slush/ice junk that was hard to drill through. Bring your power auger. Mine broke so it was hard to be as mobile as I like to be, and which is necessary to get lakers and other trout which are more stationary and don't move through as much. I would be stationary off of the top right point at dry creek cove and you will find kokanee all the time if it is anything like it was yesterday. If you want lakers or trout I suggest you fish off of that point for lakers or go across the reservoir to the rocky bluffs for nice rainbows and browns. Fish very close to the bluffs it drops off fast. My bro got his brown in 52 fow and I got my bow in 40 fow.
By the way, the rainbow, the brown, and the kokanee we kept were orange meated and very, very tasty. The laker was yellow and tasted like garbage. I got a hot tip that CUT PERCH WORKS WELL!!!

EDIT: drill holes in 50-60 fow and look for the kokes to come through in the mid 20's. Yes we did get pics but they still have to get developed.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope you hammer the kokes up at big blue! Let me know how you do if/when you go up there next.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
See you should of came to the Granby get together you would of caught more Macks... we didnt do so hot on the rainbows.

Still sounds like a nice day out even if you missed the early bite

1 - 8 of 8 Posts