Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never drove from Crawford to Blue Mesa before on Hwy. 92 and it was beautiful! Took it nice and slow as it was pretty snowy and slick most of the way.

Morrow Pt. Res. in Black Canyon.

An earlier report had said that the west end of Blue Mesa might not freeze over this year but the recent cold weather had a lid over the whole lake that I could see. There was even a group of guys fishing not too far from the buoy line near the dam.

It was 3:00 when we started fishing and quit at 4:45. Right away I had a few really light bites. Within a half hour I had the first fish on and iced.

Ten minutes later I had the second on and let Laura reel it in. A few minutes later Laura had one on but forgot to set the hook and it got off after a few cranks. Ten minutes later she caught this brown.

The last fish we caught was a double.
It was getting really cold and Laura had trouble holding these by the lip so I just shot this pic.

Laura and I really didn’t want to leave yet but needed to get home as our house and dog sitter had left at 2:30.

I broke down everything but let Laura fish. She was ready for that one last bite. Beautiful with the sun setting in the west!

Next time I’ll make sure I have some laker bait and get there a LOT earlier.

(Sorry, not posting any details for the lurkers!)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Great photos of the Black Canyon. Beautiful.

Nice looking brown too. It seems like you never get to spend enough time at Big Blue, does it? Your wife does look cold though in that last photo.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Awesome pictures Darv! You just went down for the day? Fishing the secert spot!?! How thick was the ice? Jeff

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Wow, 3 replies!!

Jeff, we went over for the weekend for a wedding in Paonia and just had enough time to stop for a few hours of fishing. Ice was about 22".

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great pictures man. That first one knocked me socks off! (leprechaun accent intended!)

Makes me happy to see your wife out on the ice w/ya. I've been having a hard time convincing mine this year. ???

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
That's a beautiful drive Darv. In the fall, we like to loop it from Independence pass through Aspen, take 133 to Marble (was dad and mom's favorite place in colorado), and back around Blue Mesa, over to Crested Butte, and back home by way of Cottonwood pass. The leaves are gorgeous. We usually stop and take a quick hike down the steps to Morrow pt. I think it's one of the best drives in the state.

I can truthfully say...Yvette will never go ice fishing. :D No desire at all, but it looks as if you and Laura had a good time. Nice brown Laura....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Good for you. I drove by there on Super Bowl Sunday and i bet there weren't 20 people on the entire lake. This said to me that it probably wasn't very good.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8 replies and 503 VIEWS!!! ::) Amazing!! :-*

Thanks for the replies guys and the PM's from a few of you.

I wish Laura would go with me more often but she hates getting up real early. :)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Awesome pictures of the Canyon!! I really like that drive, although with it being slick, wow... :eek: :D

D.J.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Hey Darv great pictures and thanks for the report. Nice fish too especially the brownie!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Way to go on the brownie's. I love that place. If my wife weren't in school I would take her over there again. Hoping to join some friends over there the first week of March.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts