Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now thinking about selling my Ion Ice auger, my Showdown fish finder, and all my ice rods, lures, jigs - aw heck, just get rid of everything as I obviously don't need it! Okay, maybe a bit rash but then yesterday certainly made me rethink my spending habits.

Had other plans for the day but they went by the wayside with a scheduling snafu. So what to do? Ah, how about driving up to Blue Mesa (I live in Montrose) and try some ice fishing. Heard that the ice was good out to the Lake City Bridge and folks were catching perch, rainbows, and some browns. Didn't make it out of town until 12:30 which is usually way late for my usual fishing trips to Blue Mesa. Got on the ice around 2 pm and fished till 5 pm.

The ice east of Lake City Bridge is around 10 inches and very accessible. There is ice past the bridge out to around 100 yards or so but it looks a bit iffy. When I got on the ice there were four other parties fishing. One party consisted of two guys and probably one of the fellows wife. Now here is where it gets interesting. This particular party only had a hand ice auger, no fish finder, and their poles were all 5 to 6 feet long (obviously not ice rods). So how did they do? They cleaned up while the rest of us smucks with all the expensive gear watched in amazement while our own fishing holes produced scant results. Thus - going bare bones sometimes works while those with all the gear get skunked. Go figure!

I did manage one nice brown around 16 inches. At least didn't get skunked. Caught it on a tube jig tipped with a mealie. Had multiple bites around 4 pm but didn't bring any to the hole. What was nice however, was the brown was good and fat. Nice to see the browns putting some weight on. Fished Blue Mesa in my Bucks Bag pontoon in September (or maybe it was early October) and the browns I caught then were skinny and appeared not to be doing well.

It appears that the ice marching westwards towards Iola Basin on into Elk Creek will need at least another week or two.

See ya out there for those westslopers, or those coming over from the east side!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
How ironic. I think about that every time I make a big purchase too!!

Nice report Pilotfly. Good to hear about the browns getting their feedbag on for sure.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The last time we went to Evergreen we outfished the two other parties out on the ice. The poles we had were two $10 Dock Demons (a child's spincast pole from Wally World) and my 26 year old spincast pole from when I was a child! I just attached spring bobbers on the end of them and we had a blast.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Pilot,

You plan on selling the Bucks bag?? :smile:

Fly rods? :smile:

JK

Unless you wanna sell'em.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pilot,

You plan on selling the Bucks bag?? :smile:

Fly rods? :smile:

JK

Unless you wanna sell'em.

Don't use the pontoon or fly rods for ice fishing so I'll have to hold on to them for awhile. However, if I ever run across someone fishing from an old black innertube with a Zebco I might have to reconsider. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts