Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been to Blue Mesa this week. Just wondering about ice conditons and if there is snow on the lake.

How about Taylor? I know there is snow at that elevation and certainly some slush this late.

Just curious..................

·
Registered
29 Posts
checkers8,,,,Can't tell you a thing about Taylor, but fished Blue last three days looking for one of the phantom trophy lake trout that MIGHT be left. I'm giving you this report with 3 hours of daylight left if it tells you anything about the fishing... I fished hard all over the lake this week with nothing to show. Started before daylight all three days and fished at least til afternoon. Matter of fact,,,,I fished most of this ice season strictly for big fish on Blue....and I have one picture all winter of a fish. Starting to wonder if chess or golf would be more fun than chasing big lakers at Blue. Can't wait for melt off. I'm Not the greatest laker guy out there, but its been tough to come up with anything :mad:! I know a couple guys that are pretty good at the big fish too, and their story parallels mine...unless they are liars and that wouldn't happen. ;)
Ice is ok, but the warm days are making the snow wet by afternoon again. Crust in the AM and wet and heavy by PM. A couple more days and the west end will be getting crappy around shore and the snow on the lake will be sloppy. East end was still pretty solid. Still lots of ice, but this week I drilled a hole on west end that showed layers of ice instead of that good solid Blue Mesa clear ice. I also hit my first slush on the atv. Not too much though, but told me spring is coming. Won't be long for it to go downhill if warm weather keeps up. Should be ok this weekend though and if weather is what I had WARNING.....TAKE sunscreen!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Halo- Thanks for the info. We got to Gunny early afternoon. Killed a couple hours on the east end. We hooked up with macs the short time we were out there. None of em worth writing home about.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Was that you I talked to at the Iola Boat ramp? Just got back from Blue Mesa from 3 days of fishing. Will post a report soon. 2-2.5 feet of ice at Iola boat ramp, Elk Creek marina-Narrows area, and Windsurfing area.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDB- Didn't fish Iola today. Fished farther west today. Spent majority of day fishing new areas and learning more about the lake. Got to put the time in and break away from the usual areas. It was a good day.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
elkdeerbear said:
Was that you I talked to at the Iola Boat ramp? Just got back from Blue Mesa from 3 days of fishing. Will post a report soon. 2-2.5 feet of ice at Iola boat ramp, Elk Creek marina-Narrows area, and Windsurfing area.
EDB- That was me. I thought u meant on Friday. I was on the black ski doo. You're dad ask if my machine could fly. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts