Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Going to get a couple of days off from work Oct 5th through the 7th, and was thinking of heading to Blue Mesa for a fall trip.

I've never fished this lake and was wondering if anyone familiar with the lake can offer some fishing stratagies to fisn off boat and to fly fish the river; what say ye?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha Dont listen to the guys at the marina, I did and got skunked... When I went I never fished there either... Its a BIG lake, good luck. What are you targeting?

M

·
0 Posts
I have been there twice, so there are a bunch of people on here with better information than me. The first time, I went with a friend and we trolled for salmon. We were using lead core line with dipsy diver, rubber snubbers, cowbells, and tiny spinners (kokanee killers, swedish pimples, kastmasters) all tipped with corn. I'm sure the depth will vary, but we caught a ton of salmon in about 50 feet of water. I also had a monster lake snap my line on the way up, but from what I hear most macks are deep. We were fishing by the bridge near the Lake Fork campground. We managed a few nice rainbows and a brown from shore on powerbait and worms. All the trout we kept had tons of crawdads in their stomaches.

I went this summer just for a few hours since we were in Crested Butte, and I got one kokanee from the shore by the Lake Fork boat ramp. He took a plain silver kastmaster.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the mac's should be coming shallow soon to breed and feast befor the ice. any one know what the water temp is out there right now??

B

·
0 Posts
Blue is not a good fall fishing lake. The macs are very tough to find and catch in the fall, the 4 year old kokes are gone, late fall /early winter the brown fishing gets great, but right now I would maybe try Taylor instead.....

·
Registered
16,685 Posts
Dont know what the regs are,but I've always wanted to throw spawn sacs in the river just above the lake.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I was thinking of targeting lakers out of the boat, thinking that they might start moving into shallow water. My thoughts were that browns would be a potential as they'd be moving into the river... any thing else in between would be a bonus catch.

I'm hoping to hear from some of the flyfisheman to see if they have any tips on flyfishing the river.

I'll do some homework before I decide to head out for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If you're trolling I'd throw a rainbow countdown on there for good measure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts