Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out a few weeks ago by Willow Creek and caught some nice 'bows. Haven't been back after these last few snow storms but would like to take my 4 year old in the next few days. Anyone have current ice/slush/snow conditions report? Any ice around the middle bridge?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
no ice at middle bridge, was allot of slush in iola and it has been warm so I don't know if it ever froze up. looked good at lake city bridge Saturday afternoon when I went by.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no ice at middle bridge, was allot of slush in iola and it has been warm so I don't know if it ever froze up. looked good at lake city bridge Saturday afternoon when I went by.
Thanks, sounds like not much has changed other than the addition of slush...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As of Thursday there was 8"+ clear ice and several inches of frozen slush plus a couple inches of snow by the RV park island. Mostly open water on the west half of the lake.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My brother in law and myself fished the Stevens Point Island Friday. Temperatures were -9 degrees when we got there at 7:30. We left at 3 pm and the temps were +1 degree. That actually felt warm and we fished without gloves or heavy coats for awhile. There is about 3-5 inches of snow over the ice from the Lake City bridge to the island. After that I am not sure. We saw several parties out at Dry Creek but saw no one at Elk Creek. Past Elk Creek to the dam it is all open water. Unless there is a continued cold spell this may be the year when that portion of the lake doesn't freeze.

My BIL and I fished in 15 to 24 feet of water just southeast of the island. Saw schools of fish come though but no prolonged bite sessions. Off and on bites through the day. Saw other parties at the Iola Boat ramp and on the far side of Iola Basin but have no idea how they did. Ice where we fished was about 14 to 16 inches thick with the layer of snow on top but with the cold there wasn't any slush either when we arrived or later at 3 when we left.

I've fished Blue Mesa since I moved here in 2003 and I don't believe the fishing is anywhere near as good as it was years ago. Perhaps that is true of lot of the state lakes but Blue Mesa has taken a hit for numerous reasons which I'll leave for others to debate.

Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any news? There was skim ice at middle bridge last time I drove by a couple weeks ago. What's fishable?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looked it up, yes the tournament is on the 11th by Elk Creek Marina. Seems like a tightly controlled and well organized deal. Pre-drilled holes, no augers or shelters.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
if I didn't have my son id be out there. unlike the last ones which are more of a "lottery", lol... this one will be more competitive.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fished the west end of the Narrows on Friday and the ice ran from 6 to 15" depending on location. The black ice was only 6" but only looked scary. All the snow has melted and refrozen so it is slick as snot on a polished brass door knob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts