Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heard today from a friend that was talking to one of the "netters" this past fall on Blue Mesa. He said they did stomach sample of the dead fish and that the smaller lake trout were all full of baby perch, the larger lake trout were full of rainbows and perch with a few kokanee. Maybe someone should contact Dan Brauch and get the offical data, the smoke and mirrors internet information would leave you to believe those fish should be full of kokes hummmmm.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Same thing with Pike. The DOW says Pike just gorge themselves on trout. It's not true in my experience. I'm not going to say they are being dishonest i don't know enough about it but it does seem strange to have eaten 100's of pike and almost none of them had trout in their stomachs....

·
Registered
844 Posts
A lot of people hate on the perch and perhaps they might not be a good fit but if the young feast on them I really see no reason that the older ones won't as well. It is my bet that the perch and rainbow generally inhabit the same part of the lake as the Macks giving them the best feeding opportunity.
I think its another case of people wanting it both ways in that they say the perch are the reason for the small Mack explosion but act as if at some point they shut off a switch and begin to feed on kokes exclusively.
The fact that perch may compete with kokes for forage might have some validity but even then I think perch live in a different environment within the lake and probably don't compete as much as they say.
I am certain that if perch turn out to benefit the lake and economy the DOW will not acknowledge or attempt to manage the resource because they have made that clear and in writing on every other body of water in the state that has fish in it that they didn't stock.

·
Registered
844 Posts
They eat what is available and easy to catch but I must say nothing is more impressive than catching a big 18" slimmer and having fresh teeth marks halfway up its body.
God I love large predator fish.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The last thing Blue Mesa needed was some idiots dumping perch into it. :mad:

Well, maybe not the last thing. This idiotic net killing of trophy fish was the last thing.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Don that horse has left the barn, what I am asking for is honest reporting of facts and the realization that they must be dealt with as part of the ecosystem not ignored.
Pretending they aren't there won't make them go away anymore than lying about koke popularity will reduce the mack population.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Why are doing stomach tests on dead fish, they would be healthy if they were eating kokes, obviously they overlooked the cause of death on those fish.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Koldkut said:
Why are doing stomach tests on dead fish, they would be healthy if they were eating kokes, obviously they overlooked the cause of death on those fish.
The cause of death was the DOW nets.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
bobco said:
heard today from a friend that was talking to one of the "netters" this past fall on Blue Mesa. He said they did stomach sample of the dead fish and that the smaller lake trout were all full of baby perch, the larger lake trout were full of rainbows and perch with a few kokanee. Maybe someone should contact Dan Brauch and get the offical data, the smoke and mirrors internet information would leave you to believe those fish should be full of kokes hummmmm.
What do you want to bet the answer will be something like "We didn't keep detailed records of stomach contents"? :mad:

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Koldkut said:
The cause of death was the DOW nets.
I was being sarcastic......forgot my smilie.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
bobco said:
What do you want to bet the answer will be something like "We didn't keep detailed records of stomach contents"? :mad:

That will probably be the answer. Ironically, thats the first metric besides length and weight they should record.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I would like to see Dan Braugh be honest and have enough integrity to tell the truth and make all of this information available, they should be checking and recording all stomach contents, Lets see some graphs, we need to demand them, especially since they are basically stealing a valuable resource (over 30" macs) from every angler out there.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Don that horse has left the barn, what I am asking for is honest reporting of facts and the realization that they must be dealt with as part of the ecosystem not ignored.
Pretending they aren't there won't make them go away anymore than lying about koke popularity will reduce the mack population.
your right there, they are there to stay and the lake needs reevaluated and be managed with them in mind, it seems the fish they are taking out are the only thing helping control the perch,lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts