Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this board for a while so I thought I would post a report.

My wife and I went up to the Gunnison Area this weekend to do some fishing and catch Ice off at the Blue. We fished the first day in the Taylor river using our flyfishing gear with much success. We were using stone fly imitations size 12 with a pheasant tail dropper with 4x tippet.

We fished Blue Mesa on Sat and Sunday morning. Sat morning was really nasty with snow and very strong winds out of the west. But around Noon it cleared up nicely. We hiked into a local spot I know about from living here for many years. The fishing started out slow as I was not sure what the fish would be hitting on only a few days after Ice off. The lake is mostly free of Ice and alot of fisherman were out on Sat and Sunday. The one think I hate though is when someone sees you catching fish you very quickly get neighbors. I would think with a lake this size there would be plenty of other places to fish. But that is another topic for another day I just needed to vent.

Back to the fishing. On sat around 3 in the afternoon we arived at my one of my favorite spots at blue Mesa after the sun showed up and the wind calmed down a little. The fishing was very good and only got only better as the day wore on. It was one of those days where one fish one cast for about 4 hours straight and most of the day on Sunday. I lost track of how many fish we caught Sat and Sunday but the fishing was awsome for us and everyone I was talking to said the fishing was very good. We were using jigs fished from the shore tipped with a meal worm. We would let the jig sink to the bottom and retreive it very slowly. The fish were feeding very aggressively hammering our jigs. I tried various lures with some success but the marabou jigs were catching fish like crazy. Many times my jig would hit the water and the fish would hit the lure at the same time making some pretty impressive jumps. We were catching rainbows and browns. Most fish were between 15 and 27 inches. All the fish were very fat and healthy. This is an awsome time of the year to fish the Blue and Taylor will be the same way when the Ice comes off next month. I have some pictures but not many and will post once I figure out how to do it again. But we were so busy catching fish.

Randy

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
great report...I can't wait to fish blue!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What were you catching, rainbows and browns? Was the 27 incher a laker? I've never done well up there until about three weeks after ice off. I'd like to see some pictures.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
brook king said:
What were you catching, rainbows and browns? Was the 27 incher a laker? I've never done well up there until about three weeks after ice off. I'd like to see some pictures.
he said rainbows and browns in his post. A 27" brown is more common than a 27" laker in there anymore. It's sad...

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Nice job Randy and welcome...

Ignore Pueblowiperman...he isnt convinced that bobbers, strike indicators and floats are all the same thing...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts