Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tryed to go fishing today at BlueMesa with little luck. BE REAL CAREFULL ON THE WEST END OF THE LAKE. a friend went through yesterday with his 4 wheeler, he is ok and all equipment recovered. the pressure ridges have opened up real bad and are extremely dangerous as of now, looks like spring ice out conditions. I 'm sure Iola and the canyon has allot of ice but the west end is scarey at best. I'm done until we get some more cold weather.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How far west are you talking? I would think all the way up to the Elk Creek Marina would be real safe. Was this west of the Wind Surf area?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Second Bobco's thoughts. Pressure ridges are nasty and are potentially REAL unsafe. By west end, we're typically talking west of the middle bridge. Anything from Iola to mouth of Elk Creek (east end) should have plenty of ice. You never know though, still use caution, ice is ice and you can't say any of it is safe. Cebolla (middle lake basin) seems hit and miss, saw an animal that went through last week, but some people have been fishing it.

Most ice from mouth of Cebolla basin AKA the canyon west of Elk Creek (main boat ramp) that opens up into Cebolla.... is somewhere around 7 inches....generally. These are the more questionable areas depending on what your travel method and where you go and that 7 is general...not absolute. Just be careful on the ice and if it looks bad, real wet, or you have doubts,,,,better to error on side of safety. No fish is worth dying for. Be safe out there :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks, I told my wife when I went last Tuesday when I saw a guy fishing near the Lake Fork Marina that he was crazy and that I would not go past the Elk Creek area since there hasn't been ice on the rest of that lake for a month even. When I went the 21st of January it was all open water past the Elk Creek area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts