Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do your math with the lake chart or risk drilling into dirt or a rock. Water level is around 55' below full pool.

As of 5 days ago:

Iola basin is solid to the narrows. +8" at Dry Creek.

Bay of Chickens...I'm too chicken as there was more open water than frozen shore line.

Cebolla basin was ~70% open. Ice in this area are for those with wings or desiring to own them.

Sapinero basin 100% open.

Been cold so Cebolla should be freezing over fast.

Good luck. Might be heading up Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll try to post more ice conditions.... with some pictures! Lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since my new gadget hasn't arrived, I haven't made it back up. My gadget is due Tuesday so I will be on the ice Wednesday, weather conditions/life permitting of course. I have "heard" that Chicken bay is frozen but frankly without seeing it I'm always hesitant. Too many people not knowing what area is named what. Sapinero is always last to freeze but I'm a chicken [email protected]# when it comes to that basin's ice. I've seen it freeze, open, freeze, open......lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BM is frozen over. Saw a few folks fishing Sapinero Basin; off Sapinero Island, south shore and in the first "cove" north of the dam. Some others cleared a sizable spot couple hundred yards west of bridge 2 and were ice skating.

Elk Creek marina has about ~18"
Iola basin maybe a tad thicker. I forgot to check with the scoop.

I didn't fish Bock-Bock (Chicken Bay) but people were there too.

Our fish were suspended with a few off the bottom. My buddy and I were trying out our new sonars so we plunked our arses on a bunch of lines and had at them. Lol

~3" of snow on the ice so the wind hasn't been howling too bad. Beautiful day. So nice we didn't need the shelters and I didn't even put on my coat; I was layered though. Lol
Good luck and be safe.

Slab Seeker

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I scanned that "cronic" comment and was like, WTH does Covid have to with any of this? On a second glance.......lol. Well, that sudden shock of cold water would be enough to destroy most "highs".
Bene facere stercorat

SS

·
Registered
16,740 Posts
I'll walk out there only if the fishing is worth it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll walk out there only if the fishing is worth it!
lol. Yeah. I seriously doubt you want to be the feature in a "Some guy....." laughable Darwin Award recipient story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts