Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ice fished blue mesa? I am planning on going up there dec 17th. Will the ice be safe by then. I have never fished that lake before, any suggestions on where to go and what to use thanks.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Rad:

I've never known where to chase the lakers there but have iced a ton of Kokes and Bows right by the Lake City Bridge. About 100' feet west of the bridge. Use a #10 Rat Finkee (Chartreuse) tipped with rainbow power bait or meal worms. Usually 4-6' off the bottom iin 15-25' of water. Good luck! I will be there from the 26-29th of December.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
It takes the deep big reservoirs longer to cool off...it's why Lake John and the Delaneys are among the first to get quality ice...shallow weedy lakes...Aurora freezes after Chatfield for the same reason...they are talking another dumping in the mountains for this weekend...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The fishing on Blue mesa will suck on the 17th so you should come fish 11 mile for the CF get together also on the 17th. heheh
The perch fishing on Blue Mesa should be really good this year, damn those bucket biologist.

B

·
0 Posts
Iola was not froze as of monday, but it is getting colder than a witchs ***** , fish by the first bridge should be good for you or willow creek for rainbows and small macs, should be good ice by the 17th....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thamks guys

B

·
0 Posts
went by today, 100' of ice past the lake city bridge, cold.....out should ice over soon.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks bob co let me know if you see people out there. I will probably wait a while before I go. I am now thinking of going somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Rad:

The radio said it was -29 this morning in Gunnison with a wind chill of -46. Sounds like ice making weather to me.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe I will go if I can get a confirmation on the ice conditions. lucky7 I'll let you know if I go.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is chartruse a better color for lakers also?

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
According to Bernie Keefe the Guru of Granby...white and chartruese are the only tubes you will need...with white being the predominate color...I wouldnt think it would be different for Blue Mesa...unless you wanted to take some perch colored jigs or swimbaits...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
He also mentioned black, as the silouette (spelling?) of the tube will make a good contrast for the fish as it looks up and see the ice(white).

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks ePic. wish I could go to elevine mile with everyone but I already made plans with a freind. Doesa any one know if you can catch lakers by the lake city bridge?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts