Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allot of rumors and such floating around this spring about gill lice in Blue Mesa. Sounds like it is officaillly confirmed they are in there. So those with good memorys how long in 11 mile and GM did it take from Discovery until the KOKEs were toast? looks like kokes have bigger problem than lake trout now.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
That's some sad news for Kokanee.
Too bad the big Lake trout are gone.
What a waste.
Williams forks got em also.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I don't know, but it would be some funny ass irony if it was due to dirty nets!
HAHA

One thing is for sure , they would never admit it!

They would just blame the fisherman.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I was told from a private hatchery manager that they are natural in the environment, when fish get stressed out they are subject to them.
A few of the causes for them getting stressed are crowding,warm water etc.
Kokanee are more vulnerable than other species and can't seem to get rid of them as Rainbows do.

Last year there was an algae bloom and die off of a lot of Kokanee which most likely led to high stress levels.

When Rainbows in my ponds had them they would jump out of the water trying to knock them off their gills and recovered from them.

Imo, the removal of large Predators at Blue doesn't help the situation, just like Wolves taking the weakest or diseased prey, Predators help keep fisheries healthy.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Allot of rumors and such floating around this spring about gill lice in Blue Mesa. Sounds like it is officaillly confirmed they are in there. So those with good memorys how long in 11 mile and GM did it take from Discovery until the KOKEs were toast? looks like kokes have bigger problem than the kokanee fisherman now.
fixed. im sure the jokanee fisherman who, go up everyday for a weekend filling up coolers with limits of jokanee day after day for a weekend arent doing them any harm. :rolleyes:
and here they, imo ruined bm lake troutery for these stupid jokanee.

redleader im with you. theyre tinkering with the lake, that took xxxxx time to get as it was will affect it for years to come in many ways. SMH......

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
So all those dead lakers.....and now the kokes are screwed anyways? LOL....wow. I bet you can guess one place I won't be going to for years to come. I def would be spending tourist money there if the lakers weren't abused.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When we bought are land we thought it was a good idea....

For sale 1.5 acres over looking sapinero bay....lol
sad, I have a friend who built a $500k house above Sap, have not seen him in 4 years. It sure looked good in the early 2000's kokes were plentyfull lakers were setting new state records ever couple years, we have come along way the wrong way......

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
For a long time I hit BM every April. Said screw it this year and spent my money on a trip for cats and crappie. Declining lake trout fishing has not been good for the Gunnuson economy at all.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's ok. Ya'll can head over and start the destruction of the newest and greatest bass fishery on the west slope. Catch and kill bass tourney at Ridgeway. Go CPW!
I saw that, they got a new technique !! saw a 2 lb + perch out of there this spring, would not even think about eating it with all the heavy metal coming out of the san jauns!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
For a long time I hit BM every April. Said screw it this year and spent my money on a trip for cats and crappie. Declining lake trout fishing has not been good for the Gunnuson economy at all.
Same here. we always had an annual trip. Not anymore.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
In a related conversation, a few years back I mentioned gill lice are most often spread in the feathers of water birds like gulls and ducks. I wondered if mussels could be spread by the same means. Though the question was not directly addressed, I suspect the answer is yes. Scarey.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts