Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody fishing blue for macs lately? I went last sunday, it was terrible conditions. Snowing, windy and COLD. We caught 6 fish all day, 4 rainbows from 12 to 16 inches, one 16 inch brown, and a 21" mack. Fished the lake fork arm under the bridge, which is where we caught all the bows and brown, and then moved to middle bridge, where we caught the mack. Anybody have any suggestions for this sunday? I think it should be much better with the warmer weather we've been having. We were doing some good ol' sucker chuckin'! I think we're going to use tube jigs this weekend and horizontal jig them. What do you guys use and where do you fish?????

·
Banned
487 Posts
I was fishing up there in mid april. We got their way too late, after the macks had stopped biting. They only seem to bite well early in the morning. Seems the best area for macks so far has been the island in the lake fork arm near the mouth. I saw another boat land an 18 pounder, and most everyone was catching big macks though it was very slow.
So I fished the riprap just past the lake fork bridge on both sides, and caught some nice browns up to four pounds, a 3 pound kokanee, and some small rainbows.
The key is to get there before first light, and to jig with tubes tipped with baitfish. Later in the day, slow trolling with a 4" flatfish seems to do best. Just be sure to release the big macks so the fishery can remain. I personally thanked the person for releasing the 18 pounder I saw caught.

B

·
0 Posts
the sucker soaker have killed so many of the big macs that I would not suggest to anybody in their right mind to spend time targeting macs on Blue Mesa, I'm not in my right mind and have spent hours searching and have found very few fish this year. Ice fishing for decent fish stunk also. This is not only my opinion but that of the last 2 state records holders and a variety of top lake trout anglers. It stinks! but that is the current state of blue Mesa. There are tons of kokes all over the lake if you like to fish for them go for it!

B

·
0 Posts
At there tournament last weekend a 6 lber won it. That in alone should tell you the state of the lake. We fished the lake for 5 days and didnot catch a fish on 3 of those days. The 2 days we caught fish we caught 3 fish 6,8 and 10 lbs. We fish enough down there to know where to fish and how to fish it. The numbers of fish just are not there. I will not be planning anymore lake trout trips at Blue Mesa anymore it is just not worth the drive. I do feel bad for the people who live in that part of the state that now have to drive 3-6 hours just to fish for Lakers. Bernie

·
Banned
487 Posts
bobco said:
the sucker soaker have killed so many of the big macs that I would not suggest to anybody in their right mind to spend time targeting macs on Blue Mesa, I'm not in my right mind and have spent hours searching and have found very few fish this year.  Ice fishing for decent fish stunk also.  This is not only my opinion but that of the last 2 state records holders and a variety of top lake trout anglers. It stinks! but that is the current state of blue Mesa.  There are tons of kokes all over the lake if you like to fish for them go for it!

I don't mean to be negative, but once again, the CDOW has ruined Blue Mesa. I have seen and heard of quite a few big fish being caught this year, but it's nothing like it used to be.
The CDOW just lies about lakers eating all the kokanee. They do not protect the resource of big macks and for them to allow harvest of 8 macks of any size is simply horrendous.
Face it, the CDOW just hates large predator fish. They use a systematic campaign of misinformation to smear lake trout and pike. The kokes were getting less numerous because they allowed snagging seasons to begin too early and that harrassed and interfered with spawning fish.
If we do not stop them, most all of our fisheries will go to the chubs, stocker trout, or kokanee.

·
Banned
487 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
bobco said:
the sucker soaker have killed so many of the big macs that I would not suggest to anybody in their right mind to spend time targeting macs on Blue Mesa, I'm not in my right mind and have spent hours searching and have found very few fish this year.  Ice fishing for decent fish stunk also.  This is not only my opinion but that of the last 2 state records holders and a variety of top lake trout anglers. It stinks! but that is the current state of blue Mesa.  There are tons of kokes all over the lake if you like to fish for them go for it!

I don't mean to be negative, but once again, the CDOW has ruined Blue Mesa. I have seen and heard of quite a few big fish being caught this year, but it's nothing like it used to be.
The CDOW just lies about lakers eating all the kokanee. They do not protect the resource of big macks and for them to allow harvest of 8 macks of any size is simply horrendous.
Face it, the CDOW just hates large predator fish. They use a systematic campaign of misinformation to smear lake trout and pike. The kokes were getting less numerous because they allowed snagging seasons to begin too early and that harrassed and interfered with spawning fish.
If we do not stop them, most all of our fisheries will go to the chubs, stocker trout, or kokanee.
For those of you who think I'm wrong to bash the CDOW all the time, YOU LIVE ON THE EAST SLOPE AND DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO OUR FISHERIES. I will be speaking with high officials of the DOW and if the biologists do not stop the smear campaign and the poor management that we will start demanding the firing of the officials.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with Lakers taking many, many years to become trophy size. The Dow or someone tried to determine how old the current state record laker was when it was caught and it was determined that the fish was around 27 years old, almost older than the angler who caught it. If people take the big lakers regularly all you will start to see are the pups and very few big fish. Those fish take for ever to get big. Release em'.

F

·
0 Posts
maybe the big boys are just so full with perch they dont feel like munchin on anything else

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
as far as lakers go i think it was a good idea to put the limit at eight, get rid of all those small lakers, i think the kokanee run this year is pretty good, considering they start to run early and snagging season dosent start till the 1st most of those fish are dead already, the dow wants blue mesa to be a koke lake, macks are great fish but they dont make money off them like they do with the kokes

·
Banned
26 Posts
kokaneeking said:
as far as lakers go i think it was a good idea to put the limit at eight, get rid of all those small lakers, i think the kokanee run this year is pretty good, considering they start to run early and snagging season dosent start till the 1st most of those fish are dead already, the dow wants blue mesa to be a koke lake, macks are great fish but they dont make money off them like they do with the kokes
Disagree. They have already lowered the number of mackinaw enough. For them to encourage harvest of small lake trout is good. For them to encourage harvest of big mackinaw is bad and goes against everything in fisheries management. People are selfish hogs and the CDOW uses them as pawns in the chess game against anglers in this state.
They still say their are too many macks. They won't stop until they are gone. And its mostly due to one overzealous biologist, Mr. Pat Martinez.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts