Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been weeks since I had a chance to fish, and I finally got a couple off days from work and my partner Terry and I, made it off to Blue Mesa on Wednesday.  We had four perfect days of weather that consisted of crystal clear blue skies and windless days with temps in the seventies.  Our goal was to hunt Lakers in shallow waters, but surface temps hovered at 61 degrees. It took us about a day and a half to figure out which one of the three basins were holding  the greater concentration of fish, and what they were biting on. The magic lure turned out to be chartreuse and pearl Dick Nites during the day, and pink and pearl Dick Nites during the late afternoon and evening. We caught a few fish on other lures, but hands down the Dick Nites were the lure the fish were eagerly taking. We trolled the Dick Nites on down-riggers at depths of 25-35 feet, and tolled lead core line in the same depth range. We caught equal numbers of fish using either method.   

We landed one Brown, one Laker and somewhere between 60 to 70 bows and Kokes; we lost half as many more, to long and short distance releases. 

The Blue Mesa mini-vaca was phenomenal! It may become an annual trip for me. Here are a couple of pics to highlight the trip:

Mr. HookJaw

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/advancedangling/AnotherTroutBM10.jpg
Nice Bow

Half Day's Work

Fish for the skillet

[img]
Perfect Weather at Blue Mesa!

F

·
0 Posts
I've never been up there...Everyone I talk has told me its unbelieveable ....Great report ....This has been a great night to be on coloradofisherman.com alot of really good picture posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Pete,

Nice report and great pics. Looks like a nice place -- I've always talked about going down there but have never actually followed through. How was the air temperature (it looks pretty nice)? Did you stay at a lodge/cabin? If so, which one and was it reasonably priced?

I also agree with fg -- there are some great reports and pics on the board tonight.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
!!!!!!! very nice kokanee!!!!!!!!!, i like the hook jaw also, i never have had the chance to troll at blue mesa, were on the lake were you picking up the kokes at ?, did you see any spawning kokes in the bay of chickens ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Awesome kokanee!! It's cool to see them while hook-jawed and still silver. I'll bet they'll be good eating, enjoy!

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Pete nice hook jawed male...Great Hat!!...we still need to hook up and do Walsenburg for Musky's/Walleyes in November...if there is a nice Saturday...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Z

I?m definitely down for a Walsenburg run, just give me a week?s notice to ensure I can get the kitchen pass from the wife.

Kokaneeking,

No we didn't spot any spawners in the bay of chickens. We had one day where all we caught were Kokes, and they were caught along the west shoreline along the Mcintyer Gulch Picnic area, and along the north point of the West Elk Arm. We had intended to head up the Gunnison River in search of spawners with fly gear, if the weather turned bad, but it never happaned. All of our other fish were caught in Iola Basin trolling a straight line from the Iola Picnic area north to the Gravel boat ramp, and then a straight line east along the channel to the Lake City Bridge and mouth of the Gunnison River.

Work2fish,

Air temps were about 70-74, water temp 60-61 degrees. We camped in my partner's camper, and the fees were very cheap, 4.00 bucks per night. I did see a Gunnison Ranch Resort about 10 miles east of the lake on Hwy 50 that had about 8 to 10 trailer sized cabins which I took a hard look at on the way home. I'm thinking about making at least one ice fishing trip to Blue Mesa, and if I can find the resort on the interenet, will probably think about staying there for one night. I'm pretty pumped about giving some the structure we marked on sonar a try under the ice this winter.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Pete,

It sounds like a fun trip. Nice boat too-Terry. I've not been there since the mid ninetys. It looks nice - with high water levels.

Do you think you were marking lakers on some of that structure? The bigger fish are all probably close to spawn now. In another few weeks or a month they are going to be hungry.

T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts