Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard there was a tournament on feb 11 was planning to go up that weekend anybody else hear anything or plan on going

·
Registered
230 Posts
there are four of us going from where I work. I will get some specifics. it is sponsored by the hocky team at Western State College. if you go their web site and type in "ice fishing" in the search engine, it will displayan article with the number. I will put up another post here when i know more. gotta Love the Blue.... ;D

·
Registered
230 Posts
ok, i have more information about this tourney. First, dont call the number that is on the website as it has been reassigned to a different staff member.
registration: you can get the form by e-mailing Greg at [email protected] fee is $25 (paid morning of the tourney)
check-in: Elk Creek Marina before 6:15 the morning of the tournament. contest starts at 6:15. weigh in between 3:45 and 4:15. He will have a tent set-up in the parking lot.
catagories: bigest trout, bigest Mack, 4 fish total weight, and last but not least-most perch.
payout is going to depend on number of entries. last year it was about $1000 for the four catagories. there will also be some raffle prizes.

I told him about this site and he will be checking it out. I would be happy to relay messages to him or attempt to field any questions you may have. As it turns out, he is the son of a friend of mine.... Jigs

·
Registered
230 Posts
i know what some of you are thinking, as i was, about the catagories. There will probably be some large fish killed in this tournament. it is a fund raiser for their hocky team and i can understand them doing such. what kind of rules or limits would you put on Macks if you ran this tourney ? some of my thoughts... nothing over 24 inches, a slot limit like the Granby tourney (what would you make the slot?), target the Kokanee and perch more, maby have a brown and or rainbow catagory? i really would like some of your thoughts and opinions. i will talk to him about the resource and how it needs to be protected as they will probably be doing this again. i have though about this post for a week or so now and have hesitated as i am not sure how it is going to be received. but i decided that i would like some ideas because my goal is to protect the Macks... thanks for your time... Jigs

D

·
0 Posts
jigsallot said:
i know what some of you are thinking, as i was, about the catagories. There will probably be some large fish killed in this tournament.
I'm with you. I would like to see the big macks protected, not kileed for a couple bucks. I've never fished in an ice fishing tournament, so I don't know all the options. But don't promote the killing of the big fish!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
But pat martinez's research paper says it's a good thing to kill all the big macks in blue mesa? Am I missing something here?

I would fish the tourney but I don't really have 25 dollars to spare right now. I think I will just be fishing the lake that day. If any of you are going please let us know what the winners were!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
tfb I will be there on the 11th also what part of the lke are you going to be fishing? I won't be in the contest eather it is my first trip to blue mesa.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I will most likely be fishing the sapenero area, but in case that isn't safe (I've heard from numerous sources that it is) I will be fishing the dry creek area. Make sure to get there early. Blue mesa macs bite great right before and soon after the sun comes up. After that, good luck until the evening, then you get another little flurry of bites but nothing like the morning. Might as well fish for kokanee, perch, rainbows, or browns during midday.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i am really surprised by the lack of response here from some of the Mack enthusiast... i thought you guys would have some ideas about how to run a tournament and yet protect them.... interesting. ???

D

·
0 Posts
jigsallot said:
i am really surprised by the lack of response here from some of the Mack enthusiast... i thought you guys would have some ideas about how to run a tournament and yet protect them.... interesting.  ???
Some of us just don't fish tournaments and don't really care for them. I'd like to see them drop the mack category altogether. That will protect the big fish.

How's that for a response?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Don In Denver said:
jigsallot said:
i am really surprised by the lack of response here from some of the Mack enthusiast... i thought you guys would have some ideas about how to run a tournament and yet protect them.... interesting. ???
Some of us just don't fish tournaments and don't really care for them. I'd like to see them drop the mack category altogether. That will protect the big fish.

How's that for a response?
I agree with don 100%

B

·
0 Posts
the lake trout fisherman that I know bring a 120 quart igloo on a sled onto the ice, with snowmobile, if they catch something worth wild it becomes a live well and that mac gets a ride it can tell its grandchildren about ;D , and is then released. do this just make sure you don't release that fish back into 200' of water, put it back in 20-40 water . probably not feasabile without a snowmobile.

B

·
0 Posts
From my experience the only way to protect the larger macs is to take them out of the contest altogether.
Putting slot limits on still causes mortality in the form of deep hooking them.
Coolers are another form of protection but they still stress the fish and that can kill them after they swim away.
I do not know the happy medium. From the contests at Granby I have witnessed alot of larger macs getting killed.
The only option I have not seen is for people to make a livewell on the ice, and call in their fish. I could see this option failing also but it seems to be the kindest one.
One other thing, when you catch a fish you plan on releasing DO NOT keep it out of the water their eyes will freeze and it will hurt their chances to feed.
just my opinions thanks bernie

B

·
0 Posts
ditto Bernie. I play hockey in Gunnison with some of those Western state guys,(kids), I will bring it up tonite.....I have a DOW officer on my team he will like that ;D

·
Registered
230 Posts
thats what i wanted.. some thoughts. i think that discontinuing the tournament isnt such a bad idea... or as you say, no macks. there are many that read this site and say nothing. i am trying to get a change of thought or appreciation for the resource to occur... thanks to all who replied... Jigs

B

·
0 Posts
when you take the macs out of the picture it makes for a real interesting tourney. it also brings alot of attention to the other species and makes people realize that there are other "trophy" fish in the system. bernie

B

·
0 Posts
I spoke to the orginizers (cookie and Joe) of the tourney last night at the rink. They had no problem with dropping the Mac catagory next year. The problem with this tourney is that from year to year as kids graduate different people orginaize it. Cookie will be a senior next year and said he would follow through with it though. I suggested a koke catagory, that would add a whole other deminsion to the tourney.... for anybody fishing it this weekend I would encourage them to reinforce this message at the check in desk, they are a good group of kids running the tourney and are just try to raise a little money so they can play Hockey, there is a noble cause!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
bobco,
thanks ! i will also be talking to him about such... i think it is a great idea. just a matter of education which was my entire goal with my previous posts.  

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, jigsallot, and thanks to you asnd to bobco for the followup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts