Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... the Mack that won the contest weighes 2lb. 10 oz. heard one guy that released a 6lb. Mack, thought it wouldnt stand a chance of winning, and the bite was REAL slow. the 4 fish catagory that won was just under 9 lbs. i got one 18 inch Mack and each of my friends did the same except one that got a kok and a brown (small).  -22 deg that morning. saw many Macks on the view but they would look and go away. i tied at least 25 different jigs/colors on.  oh well... next time. ^-^

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I fished there on the 11th for the first time. I was not in the contest. I had a great time. I caught 30 fish, all rainbows and browns by the lake city bridge. Didn't fish for macs because we didn't know where to go. ^-^

·
Registered
505 Posts
I fished sapinero for the tournament. We limited on rainbows, but they were all around 1 lbs and not big enough for the tournament. Fish seemed finicky at times and aggressive at others. Caught three lakers, one of them (2lbs 5 oz) took second; i was super surprised at the lack of big fish. I almost didn't weigh the laker in, but i'm glad i did for an extra $75. There were 108 people entered, but I only saw about 35 people at weigh in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fisher4, good thing the guy who had the first place wasnt there. that put my friend in for a tie for 3rd and you into 2nd.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know can you believe that? That 1st place guy bailed on $175. Oh well, it didn't bother me any. How much did your third place fish weigh? I had another fish in the truck that was a little smaller than the one that took second. What area of the lake did you fish?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it weighed 2lb 6oz. we fished just east of middle bridge. west of the island. i saw allot of Macks but they would just look. the friend that took third was having hits all day but not hooking them. two of us moved and he was going to follow us so he shut off his heater and then started getting frequent hits. then he realized he didnt have a light to relite it. he came over to us and stayed there. i think we were just on the road side of the deep canyon that runs through that bay. we fished over the by the where the road bed goes through also. i saw fish come up to my jig but not hit it. just real slow....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
if you get them just staring at your jig, a good trick is to drop it down to the bottom. Many times they will turn around and dive down and hit it. Also, are you sure they weren't hitting? Quite often lakers bite so lightly that you won't feel a thing. Added weight is common. Also, watch for your line to move to the side in your hole or for the rodtip to move up.
That's sad that such a small mack won. You can really tell that fishery is waaaay down from what it used to be.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TFB- aqua view... even dancing it in the mud didnt make them hit. that almost always works. tried smaller and bigger (1 1/2 oz with a 7 inch gitzit down to 1 1/2 inch gitzit)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts