Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm cooking BBQ for a friend's Bday party this weekend, and thought some smoked trout dip would go well. I decided to run over to Blue and check out the ice situation and get a slimer or 2 for the Traeger. Took the family cause the weather was perfect. As we crossed the dam we saw mostly ice. Heading east, we saw that a large portion of the edges were open. Some more than others, but I'd say 65%-70% of all edges were open to some degree. The ice looked somewhat sketchy but did see a couple folks on the ice. We got to the inlet and it was all open. We drove up to the lake on the south side and did manage to pick up 3 nice 14"-16" Bows. Each of the boys and the wife brought in one each. I'm not gonna bore you with details as they were only slimers. On our way back I stopped at the Bay of Chickens. Hiked down to a cove and fished some open H2O. I did manage to pick up 2 small bows. All in all, I'd say 85% of the lake is capped, but not for long! The lake looks way down, but this is my 1st time there this time of year! Ice season is on it's last leg. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'd like to try that lake sometime, I've never been down there...Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The lake is way down. Desperately need a big run off this year to even begin to bring it back up some. Not sure why so much water was let out last summer when we had such a mild winter just prior. I know there is a water agreement between states but come on.....at least try and keep some of the run off to bring it up some.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Agree with bobco. The water level will rise this year. Crested butte area got hammered with snow this year, something around 135% of normal snow pack. Heck they have kicked the flows up out of taYlor res in expectations of a large run off.

But we still could use more snow/ rain to facilitate the filling of our lakes

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Its crazy over here around Rifle. Harvey is already at full capacity and Rifle isn't far behind. And with Harvey full all the water is diverted to Rifle. I'm guessing by the end of next week it should be spilling over the spillway. This will be the first year in a long time that to lakes will be full before the run-off even starts and with all the snow on the flattops it could be a good year for us! I've seen plans from the Silt Water Board to do a better job of keeping both lake fuller longer this year. We'll see...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its crazy over here around Rifle. Harvey is already at full capacity and Rifle isn't far behind. And with Harvey full all the water is diverted to Rifle. I'm guessing by the end of next week it should be spilling over the spillway. This will be the first year in a long time that to lakes will be full before the run-off even starts and with all the snow on the flattops it could be a good year for us! I've seen plans from the Silt Water Board to do a better job of keeping both lake fuller longer this year. We'll see...
that's good news. Might be heading that way tomorrow. Need to find something to keep the boys busy! A chance at a good pike might just take care of that. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice report!
I'm surprised people been on ice there. Tried Blue M 5 times this year. Last of which was three weekends ago. The ice was solid 10-12 but the shore was rutting fast. Had to use board to get on the ice near d dam. Lake was down by 40 ft based on my contour map.
Lots of healthy rainbow/brown. Of all my trip there this year, I kept only 4 bows, one brown. All others released. Lakers were hit and miss and they were on the move often (something that I had not seen on other lakes). Very slow salmon fishing. Tried many places, and talked to others, no one had much luck there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts