Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to blue mesa last weekend,the two of us caught 9 fish 3 browns 6 rainbows the weather was great not to cold,anyone else fish blue mesa ?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Lots of bluefin tuna getting in there from the South Platte since they rerouted the river.

State record on bluefin is definitely beatable.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Went to blue mesa last weekend,the two of us caught 9 fish 3 browns 6 rainbows the weather was great not to cold,anyone else fish blue mesa ?
Welcome to the site! Much better to have a first post thats a report vs asking for a hotspot.

Not sure what the bs above me is about.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Nice 1st post, disregard Opry's comment. He's bitter due to his geographical situation placing him just outside the nation's ice belt.

I fished BM 2 weeks ago and had about the same luck. Might be heading that way again this week.

welcome and keep posting reports.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes sir...fished it last Saturday. Fished about a quarter mile west of the Lake City bridge with my daughter and son. We iced nine trout (two browns and seven rainbows). Fished 15-24 fow...best spot was in 24 fow. Really hoped to find the perch but with the kiddos we just weren't mobile enough to go ice trolling.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have been watching the temperatues for Gunnison on Weather.com. Appears that while the rest of the western slope has been having a rather mild January, Gunnison is still having either low digit or minus temperatures at night. Hasn't been getting much above 30 during the day so I believe the ice is going to keep expanding westward for awhile. Not sure if it will fully cap the lake but it has a fighting chance at least if the temps don't start creeping upward in the next while.

With that said, I am stuck at home with the flu and bronchitis and have missed fishing the lake this year. Started off with dealing with a mentally ill sister-in-law in Cedar City Utah over the Christmas and New Years and then fighting the illnesses since early January. And what aggravates me even more is I bought a new ION auger and have a Marcum Showdown that are sitting in my den driving me nuts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to here that,hope you get to feeling better soon so you can use your auger and catch some fish with your Marcum,there is still a lot of time left to fish the ice,hope to see you up there sometime,good fishing.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I was up there yesterday. The plan was to hi closer to the inlet. I came over the North Rim and dropped onto the dam. The temps went from mid teens to 3 below zero from the top of the rim to the dam. Their is a little better then skim ice around the dam, then opens wide up. As I headed to the inlet are, I noticed what looked like good ice just past elk creek marina. So I stopped there instead. Found good ice nearly 8"-10". Looked like good ice all the way to elk creek. Got on the lake and the old Vex wouldn't fire up. (completely dead:-[) So I can only guess that I was fishing in about 70'-80'. With out the flasher I was just blind jigging. With zero luck. Stayed till about 1 or so and moved three times. I moved inward to fish less deep. Still nothing. Did see a handful of trout coming in from 30' and mostly suspended at 20' from what I was told.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I was also there a week ago and did no good at all. We started near the Lake City Bridge and then moved down to the Elk Creek marina area. There were six of us and we did not ice one keepable fish although we tried the usual marabou jigs tipped with mealworms and various spoons and tube jigs. We were out in the middle of the day and that was probably our biggest problem, but I've always lucked into a few, even in the middle of the day,in the past. Bad karma I guess.

·
Registered
484 Posts
In the past we have had our best luck at Elk Creek Marina area pretty much hugging the rocks. 20 - 25 feel of water is where we iced most of our fish last year. Again, haven't been up there this year due to issues I mentioned above. I heard earlier that at the Lake City bridge both sides that perch and rainbows were being caught at a good rate - but that was back in late December.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to blue mesa today fishing was slow temp was below zero two of us caught 4 fish in 30'of water.fished elk creek.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
That sucks Jim as I have learned there is a spare vex battery in my vehicle at all times in the winter...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to blue mesa last weekend,took my grandson he is 5 it was cold don't know exact temp felt like zero,got the eskimo set up and got heater going in 30min.he caught a nice 18" brown fishing was slow caught 4 fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts