Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going up to blue mesa with my friends to ice fish for the 2nd time. Last year we just fished by the lake city bridge and did well for rainbows, But can you guys give me some areas that you can walk to to catch macs? thanks. Also is lake san crystabol a good place to try for the macs my friends dads place is only 20 minutes from there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
hmmm, well the best mack areas are not frozen yet and probably won't be for at least another month, but if the dry creek area is frozen it is pretty good for smaller lake trout, and there are some decent ones there too. My dad's friend hooked a leviathan on a whole sucker there last year but lost it after a long fight. The point to the right of the cove when you first get down there in 50-60 fow has a lot of kokanee go through it, as does that wall on the other side. The wall on the other side is good for browns, lakers and rainbows too, but especially browns.
Lake san crystabol has a lot of small mackinaw but not really any big ones.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Good luck. Hope you find some nice ones. The Mesa is beautiful fishing.

Hubby was fishing up there when he lived there and iced a monster while going for kokes.

Moral of this story is that HUGE return on your Vexilar ain't no koke.
So set the hook and hold on if you get one - his was well over 30 pounds! through an 8 inch hole!

When we were fishing on the Mesa back in Feb, we had about 27" of good hard ice. Keep watchin the weather and think cold!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'd love to catch some kokes there. I've never seen one caught through the ice. Someone said that the elk creek marina is a good area to fish for kokes, but once again I've never caught a one, nor seen one on the ice.

B

·
0 Posts
it has been warm in Gunni this year, only ice by lake city bridge now, could be real late for ice this year, make sure you check before heading up.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts