Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to the blue this weekend along with the taylor, I have never fished Blue Mesa and was wondering if anyone had some advice. Planning to fish deep with suckers, am I on the right track?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have never ice fished Blue Mesa either, but you could not go wrong with a tube jig tipped with sucker meat if you are going after the lakers. My plan would be to find some water about 40-50 foot deep and bounce that jig about a foot from the bottom. On your second pole throw a worm down to the bottom. Maybe someone else could help you out with specific spots for icin' da Mesa.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'd even say anywhere in 25-50ft water... I'm guessing Mackinaw? Mackinaw are usually "shallow" during the winter. Blue Mesa was also illegally stocked with perch and when I was down there this last summer they appear to be doing very well, (probably saw a couple thousand below the harbor docks) So you may want to try to target them if the Laker fishing isnt doing well.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I like to fish on the flat near dillion pinacles. 80-90 fow. However, other, shallower places can be good too. That is just my personal favorite one cuz you can get lakers and the kokes come through sometimes, and it has close access to a rocky shore where I catch nice 14-18" browns at fairly consistently. A hint for lakers, look for underwater islands on a topo map. I like using white tube jigs in 2-5", just find the size they like for the day. Sweeten it with a bit of fish, preferably anchovie, and jig it near the bottom. They are almost always near the bottom, but they can suspend here sometimes too, especially if there is a koke school nearby. I have no clue on where to get the perch there but perch are a fish of the flats so find big flats 20-50 foot deep and move a lot, punch a lot of holes and you should find some. The rainbows and browns like 5-20 fow here, browns like riprap.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hellfish,
I will be hitting Blue Mesa Sunday and Monday this weekend. I am toying with the idea of Taylor on Sunday morning, and if it's good all day. If it's slow, coming back to Blue. I will be with my Girlfriend, I have a red coat and grey pants. If you see us, say hi!

I would love some info on either of these places as well, especially Taylor this year. Anybody been there yet??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good corp, I am planning on hitting the taylor as well, and then twin on my way home, never iced any of these lakes- should be interesting- I will be with my gal and dad- I'm 6'4" and around 300lbs- If you see a big sexy fella with a girl whining about the cold, come say hi!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You'll love taylor. It is one of the most beautiful reservoirs in colorado. It also has nice rainbows, browns, and cutthroats. They are mostly 12-16", but I have caught larger, especially in open water. It probably has brookies but I haven't caught them. There are a lot of lakers; not really many big ones left but a few are still lurking around. There are also pike but I have had absolutely no success trying to ice pike here (and I'll be honest, I only tried half a day), but I also have heard the pike go deep and dormant here in the winter as well and you shouldn't even try for them. The guy that owns the store says he's never seen or heard of a pike caught through the ice there. I'm sure you can catch them but it is probably insanely hard.
Hope to see some nice pics!!! Have a good time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts