Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, instead of going skiing, I decided to take advantage of the warm day and go fish the Blue in town. I should have known better...with the warm weather, there were a ton of fisherman on the water.

I fished in the usual spots, and a few holes that most people don't know about or pass up.

Fish count for the day was 5 bows, with the smallest right at 20 in. I fished from 1:00 to 4:00, and spent more time walking around than actually fishing.

The bridge hole behind 7-11 was actually pretty productive, with the hardest part not getting mad with everybody yelling at you that there is a fish right in front of you. But it's all worth it when you hook up and everybody gets excited and some guy says to his wife, "see! there are fish in there!"

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,402 Posts
Smallest was 20in!!! I'm envious, very impressive!

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Hey V - I believe you know the Blue pretty well. What is up with those brooders in there? I notice the one in your pic and have caught a bunch the last few weeks up there myself. Any clue on why the DOW stocked a bunch of those in there? Just curious. I know the Blue pretty well myself, but haven 't seen a brooder stock before. Not that I can remember.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,176 Posts
Troutslayer said:
Hey V - I believe you know the Blue pretty well. What is up with those brooders in there? I notice the one in your pic and have caught a bunch the last few weeks up there myself. Any clue on why the DOW stocked a bunch of those in there? Just curious. I know the Blue pretty well myself, but haven 't seen a brooder stock before. Not that I can remember.
Tailwater trout eating mysis in C&R water grow rapidly...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
hobiecat said:
Troutslayer said:
Hey V - I believe you know the Blue pretty well. What is up with those brooders in there? I notice the one in your pic and have caught a bunch the last few weeks up there myself. Any clue on why the DOW stocked a bunch of those in there? Just curious. I know the Blue pretty well myself, but haven 't seen a brooder stock before. Not that I can remember.
Tailwater trout eating mysis in C&R water grow rapidly...
Yeah, I know that, but those were just stocked in there a few weeks back. Look at the color. Those Blue river fish in that tailwater are normally all colored up due to the mysis. Are they hoping these brooders will grow huge quick, since they are already good sized fish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,176 Posts
Don't know then. Possibly stocking some brooders is a great draw for the tourists...those that fish..and those just watching the show...It would be a pretty good way to promote Colorado trout fishing...

Maybe shoot Ewert a question....He's the biologist for that region..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Troutslayer said:
hobiecat said:
Troutslayer said:
Hey V - I believe you know the Blue pretty well. What is up with those brooders in there? I notice the one in your pic and have caught a bunch the last few weeks up there myself. Any clue on why the DOW stocked a bunch of those in there? Just curious. I know the Blue pretty well myself, but haven 't seen a brooder stock before. Not that I can remember.
Tailwater trout eating mysis in C&R water grow rapidly...
Yeah, I know that, but those were just stocked in there a few weeks back. Look at the color. Those Blue river fish in that tailwater are normally all colored up due to the mysis. Are they hoping these brooders will grow huge quick, since they are already good sized fish?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm no pro on the Blue, I just like to fish it. I actually know very little about the Blue in town, but I would make a killing guiding on the lower Blue. I spend more time there than on any other piece of water. Ask me about the water issues, stocking of the lower Blue, and access points and I got you an answer, but for the Blue in town, I hate to say it, but Cutthroat would know more.

Even though I hate going in there, it's the 1st place I stop at to get some info when I'm fishing in town. I always buy something in exchange for their info, but I've learned to just take what they say at face value and try not to buy into their better than you attitude. Fishing the Blue in town isn't rocket science, so don't go nuts and buy every fly they recommend and you don't need that spool of 7x fluro that they recommend.

Sorry, back on topic, of the 5 fish I caught that day, 3 were brooders. The funny thing was, I saw 2 native bows spawning right at the rock weir below the bridge...maybe the weather has been a factor? Warmer than usual temps, consistent flows, and plenty of food flowing out of lake dillon.

In any case, the Blue hasn't fished this good for me in the last 7 years that I've been fishing up there. Maybe I'm getting better with my presentation, maybe it was that $800 orvis helios, or the flies that I tie are looking better. Or most likely, DOW has been stocking and these are some hungry brooders! I don't care the reason...I love that I can catch a fish every month of the year!
;D
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top