Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the Blue and I have a long history together. We have had some good times and some bad times. This was a good time! Most of the lower river was frozen over. I hit the river about 1pm. There were red fish everywhere. I don't know alot about spawning fish but there were some bright red ones all over , so maybe they were spawning? I fished the always deadly three fly combo. Red copper john followed by a mysis followed by a black beauty. I still fish the mysis even though I have NEVER caught a fish on the blue on a mysis. I have in other tailwaters just not the Blue. I prefer the black beauties from cutthroat anglers. IMO they are the best! EVER!

The flows were about 90 which was up 40cfs from the day before. Mysis should have been the ticket but hthey all took the black beauty. Landed a few that about fourteen inches. Good healthy fish. Then while fishing to a smaller trout the rock next to him (or what I thought was a rock) moved, my indicator submerged, I set the hook and It was on.  It's a beauty of a fish. I wish some one was around to take a pic of me holding it.

What a day! All them lakers then this PIG of a cutthroat. I highly suggest the Green Mountain/Blue River combo!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
NICE CUT!!! You're hammering the fish this weekend!

·
Registered
166 Posts
`

Man way to go!!  Sounds like you had a stellar day, first you had green mt to yourself and pulled a few through the ice and then we getting some on the fly.  Congrats on the pig!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hatchmaster,

Good job!!

Looks like you need a bigger net! LOL

Mac

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just in case any one was wondering. After measuring my reel the fish was 18". I think my goal this year will be to get a 20 inch plus cutthroat for the master angler award. I have caught him on the poudre before but was unaware of the rules. So to all you lunker cutthroats out there.

WATCH OUT HATCHMASTER"S COMING!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts