Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in Silverthorne from June 11-14th for a guys golf and fishing trip. Most of us are from Texas and Oklahoma. We have rented a house in the Blue River Valley Ranch subdivision. It has a private stocked trout pond out back and has access to the Blue River just a short walk away.

I've grown up fishing the Texas coast for speckled Trout and redfish but don't have much experience fly fishing. Most of the guys on the trip I would consider novice fishermen with the exception of 2 or 3 experienced bass and saltwater fishermen.

I figured the stock pond would be great for drinking beer and catching some "easier" fish for the beginners using light spinning gear. The river is where I'll be headed but I will also be using spinners since I don't want to waste a trip trying to remember how to cast a fly.

I have done some research and found the main spinners people use are
Mepps
Panther Martin
Blue Fox
rapala

Sizes 0,1,2, 1/8oz or smaller
Basic colors
gold blade, dark body, with or with out tail
Trout color

Light mono or small diameter braid?

My question is are there certain lures that will work better in the pond vs river? Am I missing a brand or color/size? Is there anything like a soft plastic that could be used in the pond? how is the river fishing that time of year? work the lure slow/fast/vary the speeds?

Sorry for the novel

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Blue will almost certainly be in full runoff mode while you're up there. Expect flows of 800-1200 cfs. Whatever you fish, make sure it's heavy enough to get down deep due to the high, fast moving water. Look for slower pools, runs, and seams in the river. I don't spin fish so I can't help you out with the lures.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Screw the river! Hard to beat drinkin and fishin at a private lake!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
If the riverbank edges are a couple of feet of more deep and slightly discolored and running high try a quarter ounce or bigger white curly tail or marabou...tread lightly along the river bank sneaking up to the edge staying back and drop the jig straight down working the bank on a short line...lots of time during heavy run off fish get pushed out of the main current against the banks...like dappling a fly on andercut bank you can do the same with a jig for fish pushed up against the bank if you dont spook them by being seen or heavy feet...caught a lot of really good trout with that method...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
were you are fishing is below dillon res, but there is about 30 miles and a reservior called green mountian res between you and dillon. If you are at the Blue Valley Ranch subdivision than where you are staying is considered Kremmling and not Silverthorne, your looking at about a 30 minute drive into Silverthorne, at BVR you have private access on the east side of the river.
Like mentioned above it will be running atleast 800 cf. and 400 to 500 is when the fishing is really good. for optimum fishing your timing is off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I figured the runoff would be in full force but I wasn't in charge of the timing of the trip.

Cotter I'll definitely be picking up some heavier lures to get deep.

Slayer trust me there will be plenty of drinking and fishing out of the pond. I was just interested in trying my luck in the river.

Zman I'll grab a couple jigs and give that a try. hopefully have some similar success!

Frodo I might have had my subdivisions mixed up, not all that familiar with the area. The house is off legend lake cir and it says its only 1.6 miles from the outlets at Silverthorne

·
Registered
592 Posts
Go to a fly shop and hire a guide for a day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts