Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a 3/4 day two days ago and an overnight starting yesterday here in San Diego. Caught one halibut and three yellowtail on the first trip. Hooked five bluefin and landed three today on the overnight. Caught a stingray at the bait tanks, too. It was awesome. Up until today the only tuna I had caught was one yellowfin in cancun. Check the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice! I'm going to San Diego in three weeks but I'm not sure I'll get to do any fishing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice job. They are killing it right now. Catching yellowfin all the way up north of LA. So freaking early for this to be happening! Gonna have to find a cheap plane ticket and get out there for this epic bite.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So they tag the fish with your number then what? Do they clean and freeze and you ship home?
They tag em so they know whose is whose. They can fillet them for you if you want them too. Otherwise there are multiple fish processors withing a couple miles of the landing that can fillet, vacc pack and ship your fish. They can also can or smoke them if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice job. They are killing it right now. Catching yellowfin all the way up north of LA. So freaking early for this to be happening! Gonna have to find a cheap plane ticket and get out there for this epic bite.
Yeah now is the time. Apparently it's because of an El Niño or something.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Tuna are still hot looking at landing counts, even for boats out of LA area. Wonder what happened to the barracuda migration this year, catch was nothing compared to previous years.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tuna are still hot looking at landing counts, even for boats out of LA area. Wonder what happened to the barracuda migration this year, catch was nothing compared to previous years.
The guys in the boat said that the yellowtail have been noticably smaller this year but with all the tuna and everything else being so close and willing to bite it didn't really matter. I read something on one of the landings websites about the moratorium on bluefin fishing in Mexico and he talked about how it really was irrelevant because the El Niño was pushing all the fish up north anyways. It was an interesting read. I think they called it "a captains perspective" or something. It was one of the longtime charter captains that wrote it. Regardless, thins certainly seem to be mixed up out there but in a good way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts