Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinkin of trying this, first of all its legal right? at chatfield
Second what kind of fish would hit it? walleye or a muskie even a largemouth im sure would, but could a smallmouth?
what size u think?
i dont use bait, and advice would be nice
thanks
you can cutbait them for cats too right?
or I should ask, does it work good?
I'm thinkin on the premise Bigger bait-bigger fish right?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Im not sure if their considered a game fish but if so I Dont think you can use game fish as bait.

I may be wrong

-Jay

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
On pages 7 and 8 of the Colorado Fishing Regulations, Special Conditions and Regulations, Section 4(b) Use and Collection of Bait Fish.

It states collecting and using Bluegills is a legal means and statewide possesion limits apply. (section paraphrased)

I have heard of using bluegill for pike, muskie and catfish.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You can rig them alot of different ways. Here are my favorite ways.
1. Right under the bottom mouth and out between the eyes. This allows them to swim and move pretty natural. I usually use this on flats or areas with not alot of cover, as the bluegill usually swim straight to the cover. Usually effective for pike and musky.
2. Right threw the middle and under a bobber. This usually very effective for flatheads, but I have taken largemouth this way to.
3. Fillet the gills and hook the fillets on with a river weight (sinker that slides up and down the line). This usually is effective for channel and flathead catfish.

There are other ways, cutting the belly open and rigging it like 1 or 2 is also a common method. People cut the heads off and just use the body. Also the eyes alone can make good bait sometimes.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
you use just the eyes do you just pop them out or what

the part i like it the head
i use the whole head when im fishing for cats

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Poke the knife in behind the eye and pop it out, yup. Oh and I forgot to mention some ppl ^^^ use just the heads. So its hard to go wrong with gills as bait, if they are feeding on them and you are in the right spot.

·
Registered
404 Posts
When I was younger, my brothers and I used to catch small bluegills in this pond in our neighborhood. We'd then put a size 2/0 hook through its back, just behind the dorsal fin, and throw it out. We caught a lot of big bass that way. It was cool, 'cause you could see the wake of the bass chasing the sunny.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i went to my local pond, nothing!
when i was a kid we would pull them out by the dozen
I don't get it
have to find another place

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
you want gills go to brush hollow, tons of small gills please take a bunch of those little guys so the rest can grow
This is where I get my cutbait from... bluegills by the millions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
its about 45 minutes south of colorado springs in a town called Penrose. It may be a little to far just to catch bluegills (from denver that is). There are about 4 posts in the fishing conditions about brush hollow and each one of them has directions at the end. I'd recomend reading those and then if you still want to go, the directions are right there.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I agree its a bit far for just the gills from there. But if you were planning a trip to Lake Pueblo and then made a side trip it might work out.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So anyone know a place around here; chatfield has some I guess, never caught one though; never reeally tried. I got an idea! how about using perch; I think they pull them from that pond, is that legal(to use as bait)? I have no idea. ???
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, you can sein for and capture bluegill and related sunfish and use them as bait, but because they are also considered gamefish, you can't possess more than your limit.  You have to check local regs to make sure live bait is allowed, and the following conditions apply, which are taken from the Colorado Fishing rules and regulations:

"The only fish species allowed to be taken and used for consumption or personal use as bait (either alive or dead) by seining, netting, trapping, or dipping are minnows, bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch and rainbow smelt.

"Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegills and yellow
perch.

"a. Restrictions on Live Fish Used as Bait.

"The use of, or possession of live fish for use as bait is prohibited in the following waters:
1 All waters east of the Continental Divide above 7,000 feet elevation
2. The Arkansas River above Parkdale ? Fremont and Chaffee counties
3. Watson Lake - Larimer County
4. All waters of the state west of the Continental Divide, except in Navajo Reservoir. "

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
wiper_stalker said:
All I gotta say is "THEY WORK!!"
what are you catching with them wipers? catfish? bass? or other fish?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts