F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ate bluegill i havent but i heard they are good ...any recipes

·
Registered
988 Posts
Bluegills are very good eating. Problem is catching one big enough. I like them steamed with basil green onion etc..

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Bluegill (and other types of sunfish, too) are indeed good to eat. Just cook 'em any way you would bass or crappie. Typically coat them with some kind of crumbs or breading and pan-fry them. Another way is to just roll them in melted butter, sprinkle with parsley flakes & a little paprika, add salt & pepper, and bake in a 350 deg. oven for 15-20 min. depending on thickness.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I should mention, when dressing out bluegills, a lot of fishermen like to scale them and leave the skin on. Do that if you want to, but I prefer to remove the skin entirely and no scaling. About 75% of the "fishy" taste in a fish is in or right under the skin, and if you skin them you end up with a better tasting fish. Same goes for crappies and bass. Of course, they're in the sunfish family, too.

Just my humble (but authoritative) opinion. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What size do you guys usually fillet bluegills?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
around 8 inches less than that i just clean them and we get to pick the meat from the bones or more likely i just let the little guys go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts