Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a master angler award for bluegill I know tons of lakes and ponds hold big bluegill ...where do you catch your big bluegills at ?I've caught nice ones at big thompson ponds, the arsenal, pella,and spratt .

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just what im talking about .....bluegill on a rebel crawdad crank?

·
Registered
804 Posts
You got it. I thought it was a small bass when I first hooked into it. This is actually a smaller one from Jerry Creek Reservoir. It holds many master angler size bluegill and the state record according to Dow biologists who have shocked it for a survey.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
was that during the spawn? them gills will attack anything that intrudes on the nest

i think i remember someone talking a bout jerry creek reservoir for big gills all catch and release on the west slope

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how far is jerry creek res. from denver ? I would gladly take a drive for some monster bluegills

·
Registered
804 Posts
No, it was post spawn. It is on the western slope. Hike in only access. Low pressure is one reason it is so productive. Good spot if you realy want to get a record. You can fish for LMB and bluegill in the morning then go on top of the Grand Mesa and catch nice brookies in the afternoon. Its about 3.5 hours from Denver.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Tons of LMB the majority around 2.5-3.5 lbs but a few larger ones are caught. Lots of difficult to catch jumbo bluegill. I usually catch and release 20 bass for every large blue gill I catch. The larger blue gills easily will take on a 5" Senko. The one time I strickly targeted blue gill I caught 3 large ones all over 10 inches. I became restless so went back to the LMB which at times is non stop action.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Fly poppers yellow or white is what I catch the bigger gills on.. I have caught them upto 12 inches on them, not in Colorado though. I let the kid do the bluegill fishin here while I target bass.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
cool float tubes next year, i do recall seeing the thick brush in the pics posted by Troutfishingbear and iceintheveins i bet it will be a good hike carrying a tube but it should be worth it

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would say, from the lakes I know, that big bluegill exist in Boyd, Big Thompson Ponds, and Barbour Ponds (not bluegill, but sunfish!) My wife and I caught 12 sunfish 8-10" long from Barbour Ponds on Gulp worms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts