Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've got the info here... Is it leagal to take bluegill from one lake and bring them to another lake to fish with... Dont Quite understand the regs.. seems to me like it is fine to use gills as bait but not sure about transporting them Alive. Obviously you cant use them in lakes that dont allow Live bait but woiuld any other regs. prohibit the use elsewere.

4. USE AND COLLECTION OF BAIT FISH:
(a) Use or possession of live fish as bait is prohibited E of Continental Divide above 7,000 feet, on
Arkansas River above Parkdale in Fremont and Chaffee counties, and Watson Lake in Larimer County.
Use or possession of live fish as bait is prohibited Wof Continental Divide except Navajo Res.
(b) The only species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive
or dead) by fishing, seining, netting, trapping or dipping are: minnows (except in “c” below),
bluegill, hybrid bluegill, carp, sunfish, gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow
perch and rainbow smelt
. Statewide bag limits apply to sunfish, bluegill, hybrid bluegill and yellow
perch. It is illegal to take, have or take for private or commercial use as bait: mollusks; threatened or
endangered species; or species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations. See 5 and 6 below for a list
of these species.
(c) The only species that can be taken for commercial use (commercial license required) are: minnows
(except those threatened, endangered or prohibited); gizzard shad, white and longnose suckers
(except those threatened, endangered or prohibited); and carp (except those threatened, endangered
or prohibited). See “Nongame Species.”
(d) Taking bait fish is prohibited statewide in natural streams, springs and waters in Adams,
Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Clear Creek, Denver, Douglas, Gilpin, Elbert, Jefferson and Park
counties and standing public waters in Rio Grande, Saguache, Conejos, Costilla, Alamosa, Mineral
and Hinsdale counties in the Rio Grande drainage. This does not apply to fish handled or produced
at commercial aquaculture facilities.

· Registered
6,955 Posts
if they are dead then they are fine anywhere bait is allowed, if you transport them live you could run into problems i dont have the quotes handy but there are spots that say transporting live fish from one body of water to another is prohibited, yet it also in another spot says transportation of live fish with a fishing license for bait is ok, and it clearly points out that live bluegill are bait. might be a good question to email the dow about.

personaly if the lake i was taking them to did not have bluegill i would say that was a bad idea, if the lake had bluegill but for some reason it was easyer to catch them elsewhere i wouldnt see the problem. unless there are diseases that the gills could be carrying like trout and whirling disease

if your going to assume something assume that it is prohibited. the dow frowns highly on "bucket biologist" and if caught your first warning might cost you enough points on your license to sideline you for a few years. i would not do it unless i got clairification from dow, got to the dow website and find the contact information and send them an email.

good luck

· Registered
11,180 Posts
I've used live baby perch that I've caught in my minnow trap while trapping fat heads for bait to use catfishing...I've even been checked by the DOW at the lake...No problem as long as I didn't have more than twenty in possession.

· Registered
6,955 Posts
bobber said:
it's illegal to transport live fish without a permit.
POSSESSION LIMIT - Max. number of fish allowed at any time, including in the field, while
transporting, at home or other place of storage. Transporting live fish without proper permits is
prohibited
according to the above statement, it would be illegal to transport shinners from the bait store to any lake

from the dow regs
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/4D6FFAC6-64EB-4516-A5E9-AE91B7392A95/0/Ch00.pdf

ARTICLE VII - AQUATIC WILDLIFE
#010 – TRANSPORTATION OF AQUATIC WILDLIFE
A. All aquatic wildlife being transported within Colorado must at all times be accompanied by,
and may only be transported within Colorado pursuant to:
1. A personal or commercial fishing license,
2. A donation certificate,
3. A receipt from a commercial or private lake licensee, permitted aquaculture facility or
permitted pet animal facility,
4. An aquaculture facility permit,
5. A pet animal facility permit,
6. An importation permit, or
7. A bill of lading or other similar documentation evidencing that the wildlife is being
transported through Colorado for delivery in another state and containing the name,
address and phone number of both the source and receiving person or facility.
Original documentation is only required when transporting aquatic wildlife pursuant to a
personal or commercial fishing license, a donation certificate or any kind of receipt. In all
other cases, legible copies of the required documents will suffice.
B. Live aquatic wildlife may only be transported pursuant to a personal fishing license (aquatic
wildlife for use as bait only)
, a commercial fishing license, a receipt from a permitted
aquaculture or pet animal facility, an aquaculture facility permit, a pet animal facility permit, an
importation license, or a bill of lading or other similar documentation.

this part say it is ok as it does not include a limitation on fish, just says aquatic wildelife

lots of gray area here some people have gotten away with it, but that doesnt me everyone will. i would send the email to dow and then print out the reply including the name and contact info of the one answering your question and be prepared to provide it, either to a ranger or in court if you get a ticket

· Registered
9,196 Posts
Assume nothing or you might lose your license.

Call the DOW, and hope for a correctly interpreted answer, though ranger's opinions may vary and still get you into trouble.

Personally....if/when I use gills for bait here, I will catch them and use them on the same lake to prevent a ton possible problems...only a couple of which are DOW related.

· Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will def. try and email the DOW about this. The only reason i said "I am assuming it is Allowed, Unless someone informs me otherwise... And I hope that it's not a ranger." Is I was hoping to get a rise out of people and to see what opinions came up and it seems to have worked.. I def. dont want to put my fishing lic. on the line just to use gills as bait.

· Registered
6,955 Posts
rvinson said:
E-mail came back as un deliverable so i went to http://wildlife.state.co.us/About/askdow/
and filled out the form. Either way we should have the results sometime.. Not sure what the turn around time is for DOW so we will have to wait and see.
turnaround is ussualy a couple days, unless you stump them and they hav eto pass the question on to someone else. then it might take a few more days

· Registered
11,180 Posts
In regards to Bluegill, Perch or other legal baitfish.

I just spoke on the phone with a Mr Krieger..(sp) The DOW biologist for the Southeast region. He told me that as long as they are trapped in a body of water where it is legal to trap minnows or other bait fish, that there is no problem with transporting them alive and using them for bait at another lake. You must of course stay within the possesion limits and you can't release them into the body of water you're fishing when you're done..

· Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hobiecat said:
In regards to Bluegill, Perch or other legal baitfish.

I just spoke on the phone with a Mr Krieger..(sp) The DOW biologist for the Southeast region. He told me that as long as they are trapped in a body of water where it is legal to trap minnows or other bait fish, that there is no problem with transporting them alive and using them for bait at another lake. You must of course stay within the possesion limits and you can't release them into the body of water you're fishing when you're done..
Sounds reasonable to me.. We will see what they say to me via e-mail and compare the answers.

· Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got a reply from Bob Fisher DOW

Hi Ricky,

You are correct; a fisherperson may use live Bluegills as bait in waters where bait is permitted. The body of water cannot be above 7000 feet in elevation.

ILLEGAL TRANSFER OF FISH: It is illegal for anyone other than DOW or someone with

an aquaculture license, stocking permit or private or commercial lake license to stock or release fish

into Colorado waters. It is illegal to move fish between waters. Illicit stocking can have far-reaching

effects on fish populations, including sport fish. In Western Colorado, such introductions pose serious

threats to native fish from predation and competition, and often harm native fish recovery.

The information directly above is on page 6 # 10 in the 2008 Colorado Fishing and Property Directory.

I hope this information will help out.

Thank you and have a nice day

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.