Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the lake on Saturday night and there was a bad boat accident some time before we got off the lake... There was a walleye tourney going on and we were told one of the participants was hit by another boater. Pretty sure the two fisherman were ok, and the other boater got a DUI... but those details were given to us second hand, so I have no confirmation about it. We were also told at least on of the parties didn't have their lights on. Some lessons to be learned I'm sure. Anyone else hear about this? The one boat we saw looked horrid, like bent in half...

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
It was a DBM Bass night tournament. One of our participants was leaving the midlake area getting up on plane. They made a turn once the boat was planing out and hit an old Chapparal that was running without lights. They didn't see the boat until the collision. Beer cans littered the water. All 4 were ok, one of the two in the Chapparal went to jail. Minimum damage to the Skeeter Bass Boat, the other boat was totaled.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy John.. glad to know all are ok... that boat looked ROUGH.

I hope the fishing for you guys was better than for us... I worked my ass off and went home sad..

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. A friend of mine had an old boat with the steering cables and springs..cable broke at full throttle and he ran over the top of another boat at John Martin. Pure luck that no one was injured. He did do $7000 dollars damage to the boat he hit.

My son just recently rented a boat at Dillon. He called and said. "Dad haven't driven a boat in a while..anything I need to remember." I told him to remember boats don't have brakes...and to knell in the seat when getting up on plane. That way you can see over the windshield.

With all of the rain lately, I wouldn't want to run too fast after dark at Pueblo. The water level can come up fast and a lot of logs can start floating around the lake.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not surprising at all, people drive boats worse than they drive their cars...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I am glad everyone is ok and I'm pissed some people still think it's ok to operate cars, boats and whatever drunk.

I sincerely wish we would pass stiffer DUI/BUI laws in this state.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That boat was definitely wrecked. Glad I was drunk on the lake with a DD. That night was pretty dark on the water , no moonlight at all.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
The driver of the Skeeter is a member of this board, his handle is grandslam. Hopefully he can come in here and give us a first hand account of what transpired.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will add this, that was the darkest night I have had on that lake... I struggled to see, and kept my boat below 20mph the whole time... slower than that when I didn't have some light to help... it was torture... as was the fishing

·
Registered
25 Posts
I night fish at Chatty pretty often from the shore and I've seen clowns going full speed at night headed back to the docks. I always think, it's not if, it's when they run somebody over.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The wife and I where watching the boats that night from LP just after the sun went down and made out a boat cruising with no lights on I wonder if it was the same guy.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Good lord its amazing it doesnt happen more often...wow and even more amazing no one hurt...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Had same thing happen at Pueblo a couple weeks ago. Center of the lake a guy is sitting there with no lights on and didn't bother to turn them on until he realized we were headed straight for him. Scared the holy hell out of us.

We were also out there the day of that tournament and saw a family of 6, 4 children all under 7 including an infant. ONE of those kids had a life jacket on when we followed them out of the marina, and it was not the one sitting on the swim platform of their $60k wakeboard boat as they motored out. Later we saw the same family anchored about 100 yds from shore in a high traffic area with no orange flag up and 3 of the children & father swimming to shore, Mom sitting in the boat with the infant and still no PFD.

What the hell are people thinking? Or are they? Crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts