Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice................
We want to get a Bimini for our 16' Invader Ski/Fishing boat. Last summer it got pretty warm while we were fishing and we had no cover from the sun beating down on us.
There is a place in Denver that can custom make us one, but the cost will be around $500 or so. We have seen Bimini's on the Internet for half of that price, but it would have to be shipped to us and we would have to install it ourselves. And, hopefully, it would be a good one that wouldn't break loose when a little bit of wind might come up.
So, question is: Better to have one custom made and installed, but pay double.........or buy one over the Internet and "pray"??
Cody (cowboyfisherman)

M

·
0 Posts
I have a 19' Monark Bass Boat- picked up a top last summer from iBoats.com. They shipped it to the house without a problem. Assembled most of it in my front room (I'm single). Probably spent half the day on it. IT IS WORTH THE MONEY!!!!

The only issue I had was that I stripped a couple of screws. Got some self tapping replacements and continued the work flow without issue.

I would guess it depends on how handy you are!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cowboy, on my old boat I had the same problem, it was a72 16' crestliner, I ordered a bimini top from cabelas, I don't remember how much it was, but waaay cheaper than that, and it worked great. it took about an hour to get it laid out and mark where the holes needed to be drilled for the brackets and install the brackets. it worked great for us and was a good heavy material would last a long time. check 'em out I don't know what they've done with their prices

·
Registered
127 Posts
I installed a top from cabelas on an 18'maxum i have got one that was tall so I can stand up under it. pretty easy to install have to make sure to order right width and height and they had it to me in a coulpe of days. If your close to greeley I have a shop and pretty handy. 12 pack of beer should cover it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we still aren't really sure what we want to do.
We talked to a couple at the Denver Boat Show who told us that they bought a cheaper (not custom made) Bimini and they had a hard time getting it to fit their boat (they gave the correct size they wanted.....but) and some wind hit it and tore it up (cheap mounting equip. or to cheap of Bimini period???)
They recommended that we go to Paul's Canvas in Denver and have one custom made and installed on our boat. The statement, "cheaper doesn't mean better" keeps haunting me. $500 is sort of costly, but if a person isn't to "mechanically inclined", the installation could be a headache and hard.
Cody (cowboyfisherman)

D

·
0 Posts
Paul's covers and bimini tops are top quality and made to fit. Well worth the extra $$.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I second what Don In Denver said. Paul's did the bimini on my Lund and it fits well and came with a cover. And I can run with it open and not worry about it getting damaged.

L

·
0 Posts
Pauls CC is tops. If they make your bimini, down the road you can have a custom enclosure built to it without problems. You won't ever be disappointed with their work.

My opinion, go with Paul's on the Bimini this year, next year get a 2/3 enclosure, the next year complete the enclosure.

It's so easy spending someone else's $$$$!.

L

·
0 Posts
I should add, buying a top from Cabelas and installing yourself would be easy. I haven't done it, but there isn't much to it. A tape measure, drill and screwdeiver would be all you should need for installation.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've got to add my recommendation to Paul's Custom Canvas as well. These guys are top-notch and I have nothing but praise for them (I've had several tops and covers made over the years). Not only will they work with you on the exact dimensions/height/mounting style/storage/etc. as you might expect, it has been my experience that you can take their work back and have minor repairs done free of charge. You can have them put the zippers in for a full fishing enclosure should you ever want that. Remember that the higher the top, the less sun coverage and so that is a slight tradeoff you will have to decide on.

They made a full cover for my Lund, just ignore that pesky tornado in the background (sorry, had to throw that in ;)):

You will be amazed at how nice it is to sit under a bimini top in the hot sun!

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
work2fish

Hey, I remember that photo of the "water spout" over the lake........you posted that photo in the Forum last year. Wasn't that taken in Minnesota on a vacation?
Anyway, we are getting a lot of great "feedback" about Paul's Canvas in Denver. It is always nice to save some money, but when ordered over the Internet/shipped through mail/UPS, we still have to install it on the boat :(. The quarantee comes from another State :-\.
Anyway, thanks for the input and photos.
Cody (cowboyfisherman)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Wonder if they can make a winshield type thing for a boat that already have a top. Its a Single Console so im not sure if this can be done.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
I have a single console and yes, they can make a full, 2/3 or 1/3 enclosure. The foundation is your bimini so your top must be quality enough to provide a solid connection for your front, sides and back. I don't have a full enclosure but I was planning on having them do it. It runs about $1500 (if I remeber right) They have some pictures at the shop of a couple single consoles they have done and they look great.

I had them repair my boat cover where someone cut it open to burglarize my boat. I've also had them put reinforcements on my cover where my downrigger mounts are located so they wouldn't wear holes in the cover. They really can do just about anything. Check them out sometime when your in their neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
cowboyfisherman said:
work2fish

Hey, I remember that photo of the "water spout" over the lake........you posted that photo in the Forum last year. Wasn't that taken in Minnesota on a vacation?
Anyway, we are getting a lot of great "feedback" about Paul's Canvas in Denver. It is always nice to save some money, but when ordered over the Internet/shipped through mail/UPS, we still have to install it on the boat :(. The quarantee comes from another State :-\.
Anyway, thanks for the input and photos.
Cody (cowboyfisherman)
Cody,

Yep, the photo was from Lake Miltona in Minnesota. Also the only picture I have of my boat on the water with the full cover up ;) So, yes, Paul's CC is highly recommended and you will even stay dry as you plow through a tornado/water spout! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts