Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for all you boat owners out there. I have a 17 lund pro sport. I am looking for a travel cover for it and am not sure what direction to take. I have a good cover for winter storage.
I have seen alot of the two piece snap on covers where one is the bow cover and the 2nd piece covers the windshield back to the transom. The other one I see alot of is the full cover that straps down to the trailer.

I am looking for some plus/minus on the covers out in boat land. What do you guys like? What have you had proplems with?

Thanks JT

E

·
0 Posts
I just got the Cabelas Storm Proof cover. Works pretty good. Never had the snap in ones. I don't have much luck with snaps. Plus when this cover shreds just like the other ones, then I just buy another.

·
Registered
16,569 Posts
I have a 17' tracker DV and have a full cover from Pauls here in denver.It has worked fine for 5 yrs,only the integrated motor cover whips around in the wind at high speeds and started to take the paint off the motor.I use it without the motor cover and it works fine.My buddy has a 17' Lund proseries?He has the 2 separate pieces with the snaps.He had some probs with the snaps pulling out but fixed that by replacing the pop-rivets with small nut and bolts.You will find that either a custom made or factory made for your EXACT boat will give the best performance.No generic stuff! Good luck-

T

·
0 Posts
on all my boats, i have had a customer cover made.  over the years - early on in my boat owning days i spent money to buy off the shelf covers.  all ended up not fitting well for travel, tears from wind wear/rubbing etc. so i finally settle on custom made.  they cost a bit more, but last for years and years and thus end up being less of a cost.  they then work for storage, travel and mooring if keeping the boat on water/dock for a spell.  nice to be able to keep rain out while on a trip when the boat is at the dock.
i like the aqualon material and like to have them custom made to snap on below the gunwhale and then using either poles or fiberglass bows for support, depending upon what you want to place in the boat floor area when traveling, poles tend to move and bows don't.  but that is preference.
if you get a custom cover made, be sure to have your boat rigged with everything - like rod holders, gps/depth finder, trolling motor bracket, etc so it can be made and reinforced in areas or wear/rubbing.  i also have the motor cover made separate - sort of like a tie on bag cover.  it help with the looseness and wear.
pauls custom canvas down around the denver mechandise mart is a great place to get a good price and quality work.

D

·
0 Posts
My experience (and most of the guys I talk to at tournaments) dont use travel covers due to the beating the boat and motors take from the cover. I know.....if the travel cover fits the boat it should not happen but should-of's and could-of's....

I travel without one then if the weather where I'm at dictates, I put a cover on the boat while it sits.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
dkooser said:
My experience (and most of the guys I talk to at tournaments) dont use travel covers due to the beating the boat and motors take from the cover. I know.....if the travel cover fits the boat it should not happen but should-of's and could-of's....

I travel without one then if the weather where I'm at dictates, I put a cover on the boat while it sits.
I do the same. A part of my 2002 Lund's carpet in the back has worn of due to traveling with a cover, so I don't use one at all while on the road now. I have a storage cover and a snap cover (both purchased from Paul's which I would also recommend). I use the snap cover for the summers to get going quickly and on trips just to keep the rain out. I use the storage cover during the winter.

Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
One of the great reasons to be part of this forum is the "voice of expierience" that so many are so eager to share with everyone. I have pondered the cover issue recently myself. I had the original cover I got with my boat in 1999 that lasted 4 years. It finally desinegrated last summer. I bought a big tarp for winter storage. I have recently discovered it is full of little holes. I am headed to Pauls this Fall for a new custom fitted cover. Thanks for the great info guys.

E

·
0 Posts
dkooser said:
My experience (and most of the guys I talk to at tournaments) dont use travel covers due to the beating the boat and motors take from the cover.  I know.....if the travel cover fits the boat it should not happen but should-of's and could-of's....

Have any of them had something snagged out of the boat while traveling?

D

·
0 Posts
EricCO said:
Have any of them had something snagged out of the boat while traveling?
I honestly never have had anything taken from my boat but I keep the rods in the locker, lure suitcases under the deck and expensive stuff out of sight. My two fish finders are bolted down pretty good so it would take some time to get those off. If I have to park somewhere and go eat I keep an eye on the boat. Now - after a day of fishing and I am headed off to bed, I take most of the gear and put it in my pick up or motel room.

I'll probably have to knock on some wood now but I (and most I know) have been fortunate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the two piece snap on cover (on a Pro Sport), works great, easy on and off, easy to store, and doesn't damage the paint. I had it made at Rocky Mt. Canvas in Loveland, great shop.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts