Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here have a person to take a look at my wiring. I tried Crowley, 5 weeks waiting list. I had a good buddy take a look but we can’t figure out where the short is. I’m not getting any power at all. Batteries are good. If anyone wants to make some cash or knows a person let me know please.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Tony lives between Cherry Creek and Aurora reservoir.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
One of those big wipeys got angry and chewed your boat up!

or--

Posting pics is bad luck!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did try to reset the circuit breaker. My buddy, a electrical engineer spent 3 hours trouble shooting the other night, we couldn’t figure it out. I left town for theweekend so we haven’t messed with it since. Yea I live in Aurora near the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
He probably checked all of the fuses then. Sounds more like an open connection than a short or ground fault as your battery isn't drained. I would try to download a wiring diagram then use a meter to see where in the wiring you lose voltage on the ungrounded wires.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Jeff's boat wouldn't start...no power last year when we fished the walleye tournament at pueblo. While sitting on the water, Nate called a mechanic and he suggested we check the ground on the Yamaha's engine block. Bolt felt tight, but when I put a wrench on it it tightened a third of a turn. Put the cowl back on and the boat had power and started right up. Might be something to check.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Tony, if you want to drag it to my house, I have a dude who is unreal good. But he lives here and definitely doesn't have time to travel... Let me know.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I messed with the killed switch already. I’m in Cali. Coming home in a couple hours, going to try the few of suggestions, if not I might have to go to Pueblo lol.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A bit more info would be helpful. No power anywhere as in nothing(graphs, gauges, any dash lights etc)wakes up period? Or just no engine crank condition?

As previously mentioned, main power and ground connections could be causing an open circuit. Were cables pulled off batteries and cleaned/reinstalled yet?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, I just got back in town. I had someone reach out and they have a mechanic person so I just dropped it off to them. I’ll let you guys know what the problem was when I find out.

Macman, I had zero power to everything going to the main battery. Ignition, sonars, the whole dashboard, livewell, Navi lights, accessories. When it happened on the lake I had to release the hydraulic on the trim and manually lift motor. Well I actually didn’t do it, a fellow fisherman was nice enough to lend me a hand after I stuck on the ramp for an hour. I bought him a nice lunch for his efforts.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So when all this went down I tested my battery it read 12.3 on a volt meter. Tested it multiple times. I have a Lithium Pros battery, usually takes about an hour, give or take for a full charge. Come to find out it might be the battery that caused all the issue. After checking wiring, motor, the tech decided to swap batteries and everything works lol. I called Lithium Pros today and they assured me not to worry cause my battery was still under warranty for 4 years. The tech there thinks my battery went to "sleep". I never had that happen since owning the battery. He wants me to charge the battery overnight instead of the usual hour, to wake the battery up. In the past year I would do the same routine, charge the battery till it read full which was about an hour and unplug it. Never had a problem. Weird. Still not sure the issue is resolved, for the time I do have power.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have a Lithium Pros battery
That's a super pricey battery. Curious as to how long they last compared to most marine batteries. I'm all about long term savings....

Care to share a little bit about why you chose those?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Crazy, I carry jumper cables on my boats and always try jumping battery first if no power.

As far as lithium batteries they are pricey...but offer some great power and advantages. In the end, you probably aren't saving much money at this time because of the Lithium battery pricing still being quite high...unless you are looking 10+ years out. However, you do get more running time than traditional lead/AGM batteries with less weight.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a super pricey battery. Curious as to how long they last compared to most marine batteries. I'm all about long term savings....

Care to share a little bit about why you chose those?
The closest lake to me is electric only. I fish 10-12 hour days at times, the battery last the whole time. It takes only an hour to charge most of the time. Days I didn’t plan to fish and have free time I just charge them and don’t have to wait extra long and they are ready to fish. It’s also light in weight. I store my boat out of state a couple months, makes it easy for me to take the batteries off quick to take home and charge. They are suppose to last up to 10 years. The warranty.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I checked out Lithiumpros Batts. 1-24V battery with charger for $2500.

Wow. Lots of pros, only con is the price.

Battery and charger weigh only 30 lbs.

I need to go dumpster diving for aluminum cans to buy one!

My current setup (2-12V Interstates) cost ~$250. So far at Atown using spot lock for 6 hours straight in a tough wind still had enough to fish another 2 hours and had 1/4 life left.

Im not a pro like H&L!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts