Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Tom and I fished Lonetree Cove on Aurora on Saturday we say a guy and his young son anchored along shore and fishing peacefully...Aurora is electric motors only...they had a good sized Starcraft...probably 18 feet...looked like a pretty new boat...console everything...big gas motor on it...well we drifted around the corner and through the scrub trees a huge black plume of smoke appeared...we were like huh...well we electric motored back so it took a few minutes...the boat is now beached...dad and son can only watch...at least they were close to shore...flames 5 feet tall and angry are coming out of it...it took the Rangers about 10 minutes to get there...fire trucks about a half hour later...had trouble negotiating the back of aurora on the sidewalk...well folks I am sorry to say the boat burnt to a crisp...everything...just a charred shell...they towed it by us and I saw it in the parking lot...at least no one was hurt I think...I talked to Terry one of the rangers out there and he said it started in the wiring under the dash...I dont know if they had the mandatory fire extinguisher on board or not...Make sure you have a fire extinguisher on board and that it is up to date and fully charged!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Atleast they were close to shore, I have seen several boat fires and have picked up a couple people while I was fishing on a charter boat in North Carolina we were probably 5 miles from shore and I dont think they would have made it.
Boat fires are always fun to watch though as long as it isnt your boat and no one was hurt.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's the Fish Gods punishing them for breaking the rules. They were very lucky as it could have been much worse.

Great story and luckily no one was injured. Boats can be replaced.

·
Registered
440 Posts
zman, that's a great post about basic boating safety and thanks for the reminder about the Rules & Regs.

I don't have but a little aluminum with electric troll, but those with gas engines definitely need the FIRE EXTINGUISHER.

The Fish Gods rule all. Bow down and obey you mortals!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Its my understanding that you only need one if you have an inboard not an outboard. Not that it wouldn't be a bad idea.

-Jay

T

·
0 Posts
i would think fuel on board would be the key requirement of having an extinguisher?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Regulations for extinguishers on boats are listed in the 2005 Boating regs. Here is the link, you kind find the specific regs in section #211, starting on page 7.

http://parks.state.co.us/images/content/documents/BoatRegs20051870.pdf

Sounds like for the type of boat described they probably should have had at least one on board. How much do you want to bet it did not work?

Dan

·
Registered
440 Posts
On the DARKER SIDE....

zman supposes this was a case of fishermen in trouble. I don't suppose he considered that these were Pirates, trying to launch a "fire ship" at his boat, so they could loot & plunder?

Arrrrrr, Mateys!

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is crazy you saw the fire. I was out there Friday afternoon waiting to pre launch my buddys boat for the tournament and spent an hour talking with that guy. Never asked about the extinguisher. He was in his friends boat. Pretty sad, it was insured but he has no idea how it will pan out..

·
Registered
440 Posts
My guess is, that INSURANCE will only cover his loss IF he was in compliance with state boating regs. If it's in the reports that no Fire Extinguisher was on board, the boat expense will be entirely absorbed by the owner. Had an extinguisher been on board, insurance would cover it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wonder what started it. I was looking at the specifications on my trolling motor and it recommended 8 to 10AWG wire to go from the batteries to the motor. Calculating the wire size on the minnkota web site recommended 4 to 6 AWG. I'll bet using 10 AWG would heat up on an all day troll. I think I'll spend the extra money and put in the 4 AWG and check that fire extingusher.

D

·
0 Posts
MobyJ said:
I wonder what started it. ... I think I'll spend the extra money and put in the 4 AWG and check that fire extingusher.
The MOST important thing is to make certain that all your electrical wiring is protected either with an inline fuse on the positive wire as near as possible to the battery terminal or by the built in circuit breakers or fuses installed at the factory in most new boats.

And, yes, his insurance will cover it (as long as he has property damage coverage), even if he didn't have an extinguisher on board. 

·
Registered
270 Posts
The MOST important thing is to make certain that all your electrical wiring is protected either with an inline fuse on the positive wire as near as possible to the battery terminal or by the built in circuit breakers or fuses installed at the factory in most new boats.
Defenitly bought the waterproof fuse holder and the correct rated fuse. I thought about a circuit breaker, but hopefully if everythings is installed right and I keep a couple of extra fuses the cost will work out. The circuit breaker was 50 and the waterproof fuse holder with fuses was only 5.00.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts