Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Liability coverage is associated with your tow vehicle. In order for physical damage to your boat to be covered the boat needs to have its own policy.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if it is a smaller boat that goes in the bed of the truck, not trailer-ed ? I am just thinking that if I am flying down the I-70 and the boat were to come out of the truck ??? ???

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
What if it is a smaller boat that goes in the bed of the truck, not trailer-ed ? I am just thinking that if I am flying down the I-70 and the boat were to come out of the truck ??? ???
Are you worried about the damage it does to the car following you, or the damage to the boat itself?

The damage to the car behind would probably be covered by your auto liability policy.

The damage to the boat would probably not be covered by any typical auto coverage.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The liability to passengers as well as those who could be exposed to damage while your boat is on the water probably wouldn't be covered by anything but a specific policy.
I suppose the exposure is less with a smaller boat compared to a big ski boat unless you hit a skier or something.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
When I had my boat, it was insured because it was financed.

The trailer is covered by your car insurance while in tow (not from theft), the boat is not. At least that's what my agent told me. You are also at liability if you hit another boat on a lake, run over a jet skier/water skier, etc. if you don't have insurance on your boat.

Call your insurance agent

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have Allstate. My insurance agent, Kevin Johnson, (greatest agent on Earth!!!) told me that if it is not permanently attached to your truck, it's not covered by the auto policy, that includes the trailer. They (boat and trailer) must be insured separately from the vehicle. If it is a small boat that fits in the bed of the truck, your loss would be covered by your home owners insurance. If it came out of your truck while traveling, your liability on your vehicle policy should cover damage caused to others that was your fault. OR, you could just strap it in and not worry about it...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the input. It survived the trip and it safely stowed for winter now. No insurance needed, just a lot of luck

·
Registered
369 Posts
Progressive.com has really cheap boat insurance with good coverage (it even covers you in tournaments). I wouldn't go without.

My 2cents,

Crk

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Consider your boat handling skills. Mine aren't great -- hey, I'm learning. :) I have an old boat so I don't worry much about hurting it. I can fix holes in fiberglass, already had to a few times. But getting on or off the lake, I would hate to lose control of my boat and run into somebody with one of those nice, expensive boats. :eek: I called USAA and they set me up with Progressive. I think it was $100 for the whole year; seemed fair to me.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the deal, the boat is all of 8' long. It cost $200 brand new !! I was thinking more along the line of it coming out of my truck on the interstate and hitting another vehicle or causing a wreck. I would think it would be covered by my vehicle insurance when in the back of my truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts