Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys out there do to keep your boat engine (inboard, outboard or inboard/outboard) and body in
"tip-top" shape????
Change plugs?
Add carb cleaner to gas?
Change air filter?
What octane of gas do you use?
We have an older (1989 4 Cylinder Volvo Penta I/O) and we know that an older engine needs more TLC than a newer one.
With the hourly cost of boat service at a Dealer :mad:(and the cost of gas for a boat now :(), saving some money is a #1 concern :eek:.
Any recommendations will be helpful.
Thanks Guys!!!
Cody

·
Registered
157 Posts
Get a manual for your boat and follow it for PM.

You should be able to change the gear lube and plugs at the very least. Both take only about 5 minutes of actual work.

M

·
0 Posts
I have an outboard -

*Change plugs once per year
*Change oil once in the spring and a second time in late summer
*I use 87 Octane (85 is the equivalent of the old leaded regular gasoline, 87 is the equivalent of the old unleaded and is what most engines are built to handle)
*I lube all the nipples (lubrication points) about every other trip.
*If I didn't use sta-bil in the fall, I use a fuel additive in the spring to clean out the varnish & stuff (you don't need sta-bil if you take your boat out to Pueblo all year round).
*I check water levels on all 4 batteries twice per season (when I remember) and I keep them all maintenance charged over the winter.
*I take the prop off the trolling motor and lubricate the shaft with silicone once per year

On the trailer, I grease the bearings (have bearing buddies) after every long trip and after every other local trip. I look it over before and after every trip for loose pieces & parts just in case.

I really don't take care of my body that well with all the fried fish I eat and enjoy with the occasional beer (my doctor hates it when I tell her that).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, forgot to say that our I/O engine is out of production (no longer being built) :mad:. Also, I looked in the Internet for a Manual for engine, but the (English) Manual from Volvo for this Invader engine is no longer printed :mad:. The only place that I found info on the engine is at Aurora Marine on their Parts computer.
It's sort of hard having a boat that was built in Canada and an engine that was built in Sweden!! :( ???
Cody

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darn it.........forgot to say something else.
I did find "some" info on the engine in a website for Volvo Marine engines, but not a whole lot of info. I did find out that there is no "automatic choke" on this engine, so I have to start it up in Neutral and let it run for a bit (when the water is cold) so the engine will warm up. I also found different pics of the engine, that I did printed out. I know "zero" about marine engines, but somehow I'll figure out things.
I did buy some carb cleaner to add to the gas tank....which was highly recommended by the Parts Dept. guy at Aurora Marine. Now, I have to find the gas filter/filiment thing to see how it looks.
Cody

M

·
0 Posts
It's a good idea to let any engine "warm up" before going full throttle. I usually start it on the trailer (after backing into the water), unhook it, back it off, dock it, leave it running, park the truck and trailer, walk back, then take it out at no-wake for a while.

It isn't as critical with newer motors but with older motors if you didn't warm up the engine, you could blow a seal pretty easily.

I would say you should maintain your engine like you would your car - change the oil regulary, change the plugs regularly, change the air filter regularly, check plug wires for wear, belts for wear, etc., etc.

Aurora Marine is a great place for info and they know their stuff. Unfortunately, they know they know their stuff and they charge like they know their stuff. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts