Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most likely going to get a boat later this year or early next year. Looking at Ranger 619 and 620's mainly however if a good deal pops up on a 621, I'm in. Yes its far more boat than what I really need to fish around here however, life has been pretty good to Jen and I as of late
(Thanks big guy!) and we would like to travel more and fish bigger lakes. One thing is for sure: It will have the new Humminbird Onix and auto pilot so I don't ram the boat into the Dam at chatty trying to steer with my fat foot.

However, I know two things about boat motors: Jack and **** and Jack left town... In your experiences with yourself, others or mechanics, what do you think the best motor is? I don't need awesome hole shot but I don't want to have three people on the boat and take 30 min. to get on plane either.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I've been out in Batman's Ranger fifty or sixty times..I don't know maybe more. You'll like the Rangers. You can fish three easily..four in a pinch. Nice boats..you don't get wet..handles the waves well..comfortable ride.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Batman's is a Ranger Reata 1850 with a 150 Yamaha. I just talked to him and he said Ranger was purchased by Brunswick who owns Mercury and it's tough not having to go with a Merc now from Ranger. He loves his Yamaha. He said he was up at the boat show recently and said he loved the Ranger 20 and 21's ..except for the starting price of $55,000. Said the 21's up there were rigged with 300 horse Mercs. He said on a 20..21...He wouldn't go less than 250 horse.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can pony up for a 620, I'd be doing a Verado on it.

Lucky you.
I've heard the hole shot on the Verado is a little cruddy as in has a hard time getting on plane. It will be a used boat BTW.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
In your opinion, is there an outboard manufacturer that doesn't make a good product currently Hobie?

Merc, Yamaha, Evinrude, Honda...

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hobie: Great info. I Have heard great thinks about the Yamahas. Better hole shot than the Verados with better durability.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
In your opinion, is there an outboard manufacturer that doesn't make a good product currently Hobie?

Merc, Yamaha, Evinrude, Honda...
All of my boats have been older over the years..nothing within the past fifteen years..I can only go with what Batman's told me about his experiences...He stays pretty current. I know he's had trouble with his Mercs before and the customer service. The other manufacturer's I can't speak about.

The Mercury motors on the current rangers are one of the reasons he hasn't pulled the trigger on another boat.

Others may have different experiences.

·
P I K E
10,273 Posts
Actually Timmah, since you are a newbie to the boat owner scene I would start a little lower and work up after you get a lil experience! Here are some starter motors that would be very easy to learn on...

If you want to save money right off the bat you can go with this economical gem, we could paint Ranger down the side for ya!!! Very green also except for the gas you let out from the workout!!! Comes with cooler that doubles as a livewell!

If you want all the comforts of home in your new ride this is perrrrfect!!! Even looks like a Ranger!!! :thumb:

And then there is this all time jewel, I just happen to have one for sale for say...$26,000.00! A steal in this day and age!!!

Good luck bud!!! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I've heard the hole shot on the Verado is a little cruddy as in has a hard time getting on plane. It will be a used boat BTW.

Seriously, congratulations are in order. Sounds like you guys have worked hard and are getting to reap some rewards.

I've never owned a Ranger, but I have some friends who do and they are top notch boats.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Congrats on the new boat! I am excited for you.

I am fortunate enough to have two boats. A 21' Crownline with a 350 MAG MerCruiser, and a 16' Lund with a 60 HP 4-Stroke Lund.

The Crownline I bought new 10 years ago. I have about 700 hours on the engine, and other than an ongoing problem with blown exhaust manifold gaskets, the engine has been great. The gaskets blow about every 2 years / 100 hours, and Merc was very good about replacing them, even out of warranty.

The Lund is a 2007, I bought it from the original owner who my dad knew. I have had the Lund for 2 or 3 years now, and the Merc has been completely troublefree. It starts with just a bump of the key, regardless of temperature, or how long it has been sitting.

Personally, I don't think there is a bad manufacture out there for boat motors. I've always loved Honda, but I don't think they will make the HP that you need (I would recommend getting whatever the max HP the boat is rated for, or close to it).

Evinrude e-tec constantly gets great reviews for fuel efficiency as well as speed. Being a 2-stroke, it is considerably lighter than any of the 4-strokes. It is the only 2 stroke I could personally consider.

Where I think Merc has the biggest advantage is parts and service availability. I don't think there is a boat dealer that doesn't stock Merc parts, or service the motor.

Good luck with your purchase & please post photos when you get it home.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My 2075 Lund w 200 Verado will plane out in @ 4 lengths of itself.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
watch walleye central allot of used 619-620 on there. Mercs are easy to find serivce in Colorado/lake Powell etc. yamaha great motors but no service on west slope same for suzuki and evinrudes. I bought a new Ranger Reata 1850 like batmans in 2011 , you can get what ever motor you want on a new Ranger, Ranger is owned by Fishing Holdings out of Cali, they own a bunch of line Stratos,Ranger,trition,etc. . I have had good luck with Mercs, I put a 175 proxs on mineand been a good motor, sip gas compared to my 1996 merc EFI, verado would be great choice for high altitudes, ihave fished allot out of a 620, personelly I dont like the back storgage compartments in the rear, take up allot of room. I went with reata because of room in the rear.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Don't believe everything you hear. I have a 175 Verado on an 1850 Tyee and love it. Hole shot is fantastic. I personally wouldn't own any other motor that's available today. I have never had any trouble with it either. I simply do the maintenance and take care of it and it takes care of me.

·
P I K E
10,273 Posts
Don't believe everything you hear. I have a 175 Verado on an 1850 Tyee and love it. Hole shot is fantastic. I personally wouldn't own any other motor that's available today. I have never had any trouble with it either. I simply do the maintenance and take care of it and it takes care of me.
^^^^ This!!! I would give my left nut for Longhorn's boat!!! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Ah...you'd probably give your left nut for the Tyee no matter what power plant was on it. haha...might even shave the mustache.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I've never been in a boat powered by one, but my understanding is the Verado's are super quiet under power, especially compared to my 2 stroke..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.