Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a boat and was wondering if anyone knew anything about an inboard 135hp with a 4 cylinder 2.3 litre ford/omc cobra? Is this a good motor? whats the difference between an inboard and an outboard?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I’m sure there are people more knowledgeable than I about this but I’ll give you my 02 cents.
Inboard means the motor is located in the boat is typically an automobile looking engine that is cooled by water. If you can do basic maintenance on a car engine, the same would apply to an inboard engine. I don’t think they require oil additives to the gas but I’m not sure. The motor to an outdrive through a hole in the transom which is steered by the wheel and raised and lowered via a hydraulic trim system. They are usually found in a little bigger boat and are quieter when cruising down the lake and pulling skiers etc. ( not sure how they stack up to the newer outboards in the way of noise.) I think that the average inboard boat needs deeper water to operate in but I may be wrong there.

An outboard is when the entire motor, shaft and prop assm is outside the boat and attached to transom of the boat. The entire motor turns when steered. Bigger engines have hydraulically operated trim and tilt. The motor can be raised so that it is higher than the bottom of the boat when beaching on shore etc. These engines are louder than an inboard. By moving the engine “outboard” you gain some room inside the boat and I think it may be a little better in pushing the boat along given identical motor size. I’m also not positive about that.

Thre is nothing wrong with either one and it would depend more on what you plan on using the boat for. Skiing and cruising the inboard seems to be the way to go. For more dedicated fishing, Most people use outboards.

Hope that helps,, It raised some questions for me as well.

Brett

·
Registered
83 Posts
the 2.3 liter ford was a great little motor when it was in a pinto or mustang but did not hold up well in boats. too many high rpm's for sustained length of time in a boat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts