Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not real knowledgable when it comes to boat set-ups and props...so I thought I'd see what prop you guys run on what rig/motor size for our altitude along the front range. We are currently running a 3 blade stainless steel 21 pitch prop on a 1992 evinrude 150 hp motor attached to an 1989 18 1/2' champion bass boat. It does pretty good...but then again we have no other set up to compare to. Was hoping there might be a set up guru on here that would know if our prop is a good choice or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
How many rpm's are you spinning? How is your holeshot?
What is max rpm on the motor?
My guess would be a 19 or 20 but need more info.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
The lower the pitch...the better the hole shot...higher the pitch...the better top end speed. Higher the altitude ...the lower the pitch. More weight ...lower pitch...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
18.5 1989 glassstream bass boat 150 mariner 19 pitch. Great hole shot and decent speed, 50 mph with a full load and 2 fisherman.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow...quite a difference in props so far. Right now our hole shot is mediocre and top end is about in the mid fifties full load. We just installed a new voltage rectifier so I will have to check RPM's at WOT. I'm thinking a 19 pitch may balance things out a bit. This boat was first used in the south I think...so may not be good for this altitude.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Prop the boat......any boat, so that the motor tuns up to FULL recommended RPM with a full load on the boat, fuel people etc. If the motor does not turn up FULL recommended RPM you will severely hurt the motor over time. If the motor is "overpropped" it's pretty simple for a prop shop to cut it. Let them know the maximum RPM the motor will turn and tell them what the MFG. recommended RPM's are and they will adjust the pitch accordingly.

Proper pitch is critical to an engines life.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My boat was from Georgia and had a 25 pitch.... I was so excited when I bought it that I never checked the prop and had a fun day unloading my boat then heading out for a few minutes of going nowwhere, then loaded her back up and went straight to the Prop Doc,lol. I suggest going to Prop Doc on Alameda and Pecos, just east of Pecos. Steve I think is the owners name, should be able to help you out, better than me at aleast.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
My motor is a Suzuki DF140 four-stroke and I use a 20"SS in the plains, and an 17" aluminum in the mountains (but I probably could go a bit higher on the 17). The recommended RPM range is 6200 for my motor.

As others have said, the key is to operate in the recommended RPM range at WOT based on load, altitude, etc. and it is best to have a couple of props to choose from due to the changes in altitudes in Colorado. I believe the rule of thumb is that one loses about 3% horsepower for every 1000' of elevation.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mogul checked today and it is actually a 20 degree pitch not a 21 stainless steel 3 blade. We are gonna hit up the tooth saturday and now that we have the charging system fixed we will check the rpm at max. Also gonna check out the new fish finders we installed, its gonna be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to start castin again...............................................................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts