Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could any fellow boaters on here give me some ideas on what lakes i could launch my boat at without 4-whell drive. My trucks 4-wheel drive went out on sat night as i was trying to launch at Chatfield. I was still able to get back up the ramp with some nerve racking rubber burning but couldnt even put the boat in the water. Need some places to go 2-wheel drive friendly till i can get it repaired. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks BP

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I've never had to use 4 wheel drive at Chatfield ???

Would it help if you put some weight in the back of the truck so you could get more traction?

Have you tried the ramp near the Marina at Chatfield instead of the north ramps? If I remember right, it's not as steep.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have the most gripping tires out there, i had a old steel drill press still in the back of the truck from work about three hundred pounds. Have never tried the ramp by the marina.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
to got better grip you can lower the tire pressure to 25-27 lbs as long as you dont drive over about 50 mph you can git to a place to air up again

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i remember right cherry creek has nice rumble striped ramps. Deeper channels and not as steep. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
bigpapa said:
If i remember right cherry creek has nice rumble striped ramps. Deeper channels and not as steep. Could be wrong though.
You remember correctly...the west ramp is pretty flat with rumble striped ramps...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
What kind of truck and boat combo are you launching? I have launched a 19 foot fiberglass with an old Toyota 4 Runner on steep ramps and never had to use 4 wheel drive. Something is strange. Either you are launching a big boat with an S10 or the tires (like you mention) are smooth.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ihave a 16ft fiberglass 1963 redfish and pull it with a 1/2 ton chevy long bed with dueller H/L tires with about 1/8" tread on them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The west ramp near the marina at cherry creek is great. It have cut outs on the ramp for traction and has gradual slope. I have seen many boats being launched with cars on this ramp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts