Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 Evinrude 70HP 3 cylinder I took in and this place just quoted me 4.5 hours to put new carb kits in so with parts the grand total is $761. This seems high to me anyone else had this done? My normal mechanic retired and getting work done on older motors is becoming difficult these days seems like.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Seems high to me, but repair shops are very busy this time of year. They probably don’t care if they get the work from you or not.
I’d search YouTube. Probably a job you can tackle yourself if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
16,801 Posts
1980? Just flushing money down the toilet-

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
If you want to try something quick and easy, take the fuel line off to the carburetor and spray carb cleaner directly into it. Do it a couple of times.

If that doesn't work, look up how to do the carb kit yourself. You can likely buy it online (or from Crowley here in town). I'd be surprised if it really is a 4.5 hour job.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If you want to try something quick and easy, take the fuel line off to the carburetor and spray carb cleaner directly into it. Do it a couple of times.

If that doesn't work, look up how to do the carb kit yourself. You can likely buy it online (or from Crowley here in town). I'd be surprised if it really is a 4.5 hour job.
When you “rebuild” a carb all you are really doing is taking it off the motor, taking it apart and cleaning it. These are designed to be worked on and it’s not that tough. Start with Youtube and you’ll see the process.
The estimate you got is high but that’s what some charge and get away with. Used to cost me $40 to get my truck AC recharged. Local mechanic wanted to charge me $400 the other day.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you “rebuild” a carb all you are really doing is taking it off the motor, taking it apart and cleaning it. These are designed to be worked on and it’s not that tough. Start with Youtube and you’ll see the process.
The estimate you got is high but that’s what some charge and get away with. Used to cost me $40 to get my truck AC recharged. Local mechanic wanted to charge me $400 the other day.
Actually you can buy a carb kit that comes with new jets and gaskets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts