Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

Looking for suggestions of a good repair shop have a 70 hp Johnson O/B bogs down and dies when shifted into forward i believe it is carb related. I live in the Northglenn/Thornton area. Boulder Marine was one suggestion

Thank you in advance and have a great day !

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
My Bud swears by BEST MARINE..
50th Ave. just East of Ward Rd..
I have not been there...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I've used Best before. They recently changed ownership, but the new owner (Rick) was one of their mechanics before.

Tried to get my Lund in there a few weeks back and they were scheduling work 4 weeks out.

Might be worth trying Crowley as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Run some seafoam thru the engine-might help.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
X3 on the Seafoam, carb kit in a can! (and if it doesn't help your only out $9)
Stuff seems to smooth out 2 strokes well.:thumb:
Save

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Seafoam works great a lot of the time and is worth a try. Sometimes you do have to go a little further and take the carb out and clean it up. Not too complicated, you might consider doing this yourself. Save some money and you don't have to wait four weeks. You will find the carb kit for your motor online. :)

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Seafoam works great a lot of the time and is worth a try. Sometimes you do have to go a little further and take the carb out and clean it up. Not too complicated, you might consider doing this yourself. Save some money and you don't have to wait four weeks. You will find the carb kit for your motor online. :)
and youtube is your best buddy for do-it-yourselfers! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ran fine until recently? Left gas in the fuel system and now this problem?
SEAFOAM for sure before paying mechanic.
I'm guessing you have a 6 gallon gas tank and it's 2 cycle premix.
Empty outboard gas tank(put gas oil mix into another gas can and put into your vehicle tank when you fill it up)fill outboard tank with premium gas, 2 cycle oil and half a can of SeaFoam.
Either take to lake or put a hose on the motor, start it and let it idle for 20 minutes then see if the SeaFoam has cleared it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your suggestions. Called Best they do not work on anything older the 1985 I tried the the SeaFoam was not that lucky. So looks like i have to take it to the shop.

Just a crazy question I know this great gas we run now is not so good on 2 strokes.
How do you all take care of your carbs I fog every year and run them dry. Was also told to run them dry every time after i use it. Thoughts ??

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I never run mine dry-you'll dry out the gaskets in the carb doing this and have a whole different set of problems. Get a good ethanol treatment-stabil marine or quickcare and add to your gas every time.

Try and get non ethanol gas if you can find it-especially for an engine that old. Check your inline fuel filter-might be your problem. Also, the fuel line might be degraded/frayed inside-ethanol gas will do that too.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Ditto on using something that treats the ethanol in the fuel. I use Marine Stabil with each fill up. Also a good idea to try to not let the gas get too old if possible.

The Boat Shop in Commerce City works on older outboards.

IMO, the best boat mechanic in the state is Bruce up at Inlet Bay - Horsetooth. It is a bit of a drive, but worth it. Last time I brought my boat to him it turned out to be a simple problem. He fixed it and wouldn't even let me pay him. He is very difficult to get a hold of because he does a lot of work for the slip holders up there. But you can reach him at 970-223-2775. I usually call him on his cell, but I'm not comfortable giving that out.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts