Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what boat type and size would you recomend for fishing colorado ....I want to be able to fish big bodies of water and local res.

eric

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
You want a deep vee at least 16 ft long,full walk-thru windshield able to handle 115 hp motor. I feel this is a minimum to handle big water in any conditions safely and comfortably.I have a 17 ft Tracker with a 60 hp motor and a single console and when it gets windy you will get wet!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if you want to be able to handle the bigger reservoirs like pueblo i would get an 18'+ boat with good freeboard or you might look like the guys jwtrapper saw at pueblo!

i would also recomend a Deep-V hull

with good free board and a deep-V hull an 18' boat can handle quite a bit of weather if the operator is up to the task

you know the old saying "it's the nut behind the wheel that matters most"

i used to run an 18 footer in the ocean off san diego and felt safe in waves and chop that you just wont see inland short of the great lakes. i would take it 30-50 miles off shore and to the islands in some pretty nasty weather you just gota slow down and pick your way carefuly

i got caught out 20 miles or so as a storm rolled in and the 6'swells with 15 second intervals turned into 6-8' confused seas with only 6-8 sec intervals man that had me puckered up. took like 4 time as long to get back and then when i got to the chanel it was low tide and the wave were braking 6-10' high completley across the channel. had to wait a couple more hours for the tide to rise a bit and then jumped on the back of one of the smaller waves and chased it in all in my 35 year old 18 footer

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im on the lookout for a boat and have an idea of what i want ...what i want is a brand new lund ..what i have money for is a walmart inflatable .....oh well time to go to the bank and beg for dough

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I think 16'+ deep-V walleye boats make great fishing boats for Colorado. High sides for the wind and cold water, tough enough to scrape on a few rocks now and then.

I've had a few times on Elevenmile with my old boat that I would not like to re-live. 40 degree water spashing in your face for the better part of an hour as you tried to get across the windy lake!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
when they use to have all the bass tournaments down this way me and the wife use to go see which ones would sink

there were some real nice bass boats but out here when the wind would whip up most didnt know what to do so they would be full of water before they new it

so i think for colorado some of those deep-v walleye boat would be the way to go

·
Registered
280 Posts
I favor the walleye boats with windshields, it really is worth having when its cold and windy, you just don't get as wet as with a walk about.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I run a 14 semi-v. Its ok fine on the lakes I usually boat. But on a windy day like others have said larger and with a windshield would be a blessing. I have had it out on days when the waves were big enough to almost put the bow under and have been tossed all over the place. A 17 or 18 footer is better especially if you are fishing places know for wind like Jackson or 11-mile.

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Yeppers Dan is right...I have a 14ft Lund Rebel...it is ok...I wont put it on it on Blue Mesa, Navajo, John Martin and a couple of others. I would keep a watchful eye on Spinney, Eleven Mile, North Sterling and high tail it at a moments notice...and yes a windshield would be nice...I would get a 16 footer minimum...I will this winter...on Ebay...someone will sacrifice a 16 foot Lund in the dead of winter and I will be glad to go dig it out in Minnesota or Wisconsin...and then sell mine next spring...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have a 16ft. Lowe, 50HP. It's been great. Have plenty of room, and it's all you'll ever really need out here, if your main interest is fishing & if you're smart. Common sense says you've gotta watch the weather. It was alittle ruff 2 months agos on Big Mac, when the wind decided it was gonna kick some ***!!!. But we surived, very wet, but it's been a great boat.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I got a 14ft. Lowe with a 40 hp and it does fine. Like Johnny 019 says-you gotta be smart and have a little common sense. I take it out on 11 Mile, Navajo. Heck, I had it down on Bull Shoals for 2 months last fall and thats 55,000 acres and I never got into any trouble.

You gotta watch the weather. Another trick is to stay on the same side you launched if things look iffy so you don't have to cross the lake. Ed

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Ed Marcol said:
I got a 14ft. Lowe with a 40 hp and it does fine. Like Johnny 019 says-you gotta be smart and have a little common sense. I take it out on 11 Mile, Navajo. Heck, I had it down on Bull Shoals for 2 months last fall and thats 55,000 acres and I never got into any trouble.

You gotta watch the weather. Another trick is to stay on the same side you launched if things look iffy so you don't have to cross the lake. Ed
Yep, you guys are right-- you'll be fine if you use a little common sense. I especially like the last statement about where to launch. That was the biggest lesson I didn't learn with my smaller boat!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I perfer my 17 ft whaler at least they will find the boat if I do somthing to crazy. Although it was difficult to get the right trolling motor setup for it. I wasn't happy with it last year, but this year it's fishing pretty well. I had 13 whaler 2 years ago and I like that boat better for fishing. The trouble was in big waves you got wet. My buddy has a sylvan and it fishes real nice. I like the nonsinkable factor of the whalers.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get the largest boat you can afford. If you can't afford a big boat buy a nice 12 or 14 foot boat with a ten hp motor and just don't go to the larger lakes. Fish can be caught in smaller lakes. I've fished in boats large and small while you might feel safer in a large boat the fishing is just as fun in a small boat. Just use your noggin for something other than a hat rack and keep your self out of trouble. It's tough to go fishin' again if you are 6ft under.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We have a 1989 16' Invader Fishing/Ski boat with a windshield (opens in the middle) and a 135 hp I/O motor. It does us fine for fishing. There are just the wife and I, so there is plenty of room in it. The hull is a little to low for going through the bigger waves, but we do ok. We paid $5,000 for it and it is in darn good shape.
We also have three rod holders we mounted on it and a nice Hummingbird FishFinder (works great).
Cody

1 - 18 of 18 Posts