Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes people, I too have had too many encounters with inconsiderate, rude, and just plain STUPID people at lakes in Co. (mainly at Chat.) Everyone who purchases a boat should get some type of lesson on boating etiquette or at least a copy of the COAST GUARD rules on how to handle your craft.
Boat repairs are not done in the water while tied to the "dock." Do them at home. And PLEASE, rule number ONE (especially during BAD weather) Boats that are disembarking the lake have the RIGHT OF WAY over boats putting into the lake.... One of the BIGGEST pet peaves of mine....
Maybe everyone needs some refresher courses on common courtesy and just plain old common sense.

KEEP IT TIGHT... YOU"LL FEEL IT BETTER!!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
What qualifies as bad weather (ie, what is bad to one person taking the boat out may not be bad to the person who is putting in)? Where did you here the boats disembarking have a right of way over those putting in? What does that mean, the person with the empty trailer pulls ahead of those in line to put in? I can't remember reading anything about that in Chapmans piloting.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I agree TALO.  Im not a huge boater or anything, but the lakes I frequent there are several trips when the dock is so full of patrons, if that were truly the "rule", then no one would ever get in the water.  Not to mention, some boat repairs, such as carburater adjustment and fine tuning have to be done on the water.  Not at the dock necessarily, but anything that you need your motor to run for longer then 10 minutes to do, has to be done in the water.

Now I do agree with you IFSHDOU2.  Make no mistake, I hate inconsiderate boaters too.  As well as inconsiderate shore angler who post up 10 feet from you when they have the whole beach, or inconsiderate belly boaters, or litterers, or on and on and on.  Inconsideration is a disease at these local lakes, and it seems more and more are catching it.  But I honestly believe it is a personality trait, not just because they want to take thier turn and drop the boat in the water necessarily.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Ken, I've not seen it. I always thought the rule was you get in line with your vehicle and trailer after you are fully prepared to launch or retrieve, when its your turn you go quickly as you can.

If you are retrieveing alone and there is a big line its a problem, because you have to wait until there is space at the dock, tie up at the very end of the dock, then run up get your vehicle, stay in line till its your turn, then retrieve the boat.

M

·
0 Posts
IFSHDOU2? said:
Everyone who purchases a boat should get... at least a copy of the COAST GUARD rules on how to handle your craft.
Here's a link to the State Parks Site that outlines regulations on boating (adopted from the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary). A copy is available at the State Parks Office when you register your boat.
http://parks.state.co.us/images/content/documents/BoatRegs20061870.pdf
(rules of the road are on page 14).

IFSHDOU2? said:
And PLEASE, rule number ONE (especially during BAD weather) Boats that are disembarking the lake have the RIGHT OF WAY over boats putting into the lake.... One of the BIGGEST pet peaves of mine....
Rule #1 is LOOK OUT! (see page 17, #5 - right after definitions).

IFSHDOU2? said:
Maybe everyone needs some refresher courses on common courtesy and just plain old common sense.
Courtesty is subjective based on the situation. Common sense is actually addressed in the regulations under page 16 #219 (3).

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
On weekends chatfield often has a person at the ramp directing traffic, telling folks to get a move on etc. They also direct empty trailers in to retrieve infront of folks launching. They also enforce the rules too, this past weekend I saw the Ramp Monitor kick a couple of guys who were fishing off the docks off the dock.

When there is not a Monitor there, I have often waved an empty trailer infront of me to help clear the ramps, only once has anyone behind me ever complained. He did not see the logic of you can only put so many boats at the dock at a time.

Dan

F

·
0 Posts
Dan, I actually did that a couple of weeks ago at Chat and got cussed out too. I was launching alone and needed the dock space and didn't think launching my boat at the dock in front of another boat docked made much sense.

·
Registered
149 Posts
what do you think about parking your boat at the 30min waiting station while you go get your truck. so that others can come get their boat or put their boat in the water

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i was at jackson one time, and this guy decided to drift and drift in to shore and this guy casted his line and hit his boat! it was so funny!!! ;D

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
dmadis8 said:
what do you think about parking your boat at the 30min waiting station while you go get your truck. so that others can come get their boat or put their boat in the water
That works good at the eastern ramp and marina. Some places don't have any other docks, the western ramps at Chatfield for example. That situation - one person boating when there are long lines, is not a large percentage of the whole (in my opinion), and they try to accomodate the person for the benefit of all, as Dan said.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
TAL0362 said:
  I can't remember reading anything about that in Chapmans piloting.
good read, if more folks could read and understand it, boating would be a nicer and safer past time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts